Duper Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Duper Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass

Some nice fish in this river, doing some post military fishing. Pretty sad i hear about pieces of trash taking these beautiful fish out of the river. If you take them out how can we catch them??

CF1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Duper Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass

Nice fish, all three... I believe I live real close to both the bridge and the concrete site you're at in the pics. If you ever need a fishing partner, PM and we can try to find a SM even bigger than the first pics!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to PeterB

Beauty
PeterB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I saw you out there that day! I remember the rubber gloves
I was wading just up stream from your location. Nice fish!
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak Man
I saw you out there that day! I remember the rubber gloves
I was wading just up stream from your location. Nice fish!
haha yea thats me.. caught some smaller ones this past week but they're better than nothing. The rain definitely raised the water level decently, so i'm excited to fish this coming week.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

more pics.... better practice catch and release, remember it takes 4-6 years for these guys to get within legal size. If DNR rules are violated you WILL face hefty fines and even imprisonment.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Eating these fish is NOT advised due to extremely dangerous mercury levels, so make sure you are practicing catch and release EVEN IF they are within the legal limit.

IF YOU WANT TO EAT FISH, GO TO THE MEAT MARKET! with the cost of fishing equipment and baits it will cost you the same amount of money in the long run, so protect these fish for our kids to catch one day!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

A passionate man about C&R! I love it! Haha. But actually, most of the "big" smallies on the Dupage are much older than 4-6 years old. That is what people dont understand. On a small body of water like the Dupage, someone could easily have their "3 fish limit" and have over 30 years worth of fish in their bucket. You could destroy that fragile ecosystem in no time.

Ill be out of town this weekend (Fishing the Rock River) but when I get back, maybe I'll see ya out there.
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF1985
Eating these fish is NOT advised due to extremely dangerous mercury levels, so make sure you are practicing catch and release EVEN IF they are within the legal limit.
not just mercury, but cadmium and radioactive thorium as well; at least up here farther north. The watershed around Kress Creek was a Superfund site from an old Kerr-McGee plant that dumped untold amounts of toxic waste into the Kress. That flowed into the W Branch just about a mile or two downstream. You can be sure some went all the way down past the confluence and beyond.

http://cfpub.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites ... id=0500760

http://www.epa.gov/region5/cleanup/kerrmcgee/

"There are four Kerr-McGee Superfund sites. The sites were contaminated by radioactive thorium waste material generated by a processing facility, known as the Rare Earths Facility, which operated in West Chicago between 1932 and 1973. The West Chicago Environmental Response Trust is cleaning up the sites and the Rare Earths Facility under a Tronox (formerly Kerr-McGee) bankruptcy settlement.
The Kress Creek/West Branch DuPage River site includes almost seven miles of creek and river sediment, banks and floodplain soils contaminated with radioactive thorium residue." (from http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2011/04/21 ... eanup-usa/)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nice fish. I have never fished that exact spot. I usually wade furhter downstream near Seil rd.
The Bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.