River Monster 5-14-12 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default River Monster 5-14-12

Me and the Fiancee had the afternoon off of work, and it was a gorgeous day, so we decided to take the boat out to the DPR, to try and mess around with some backwater crappie. Fatheads about 18" under a float were catching everything under the sun... except for crappie! Ended up with about a dozen bass (a few 15-16" and one 17" female with a red belly) handful of white bass, and a couple monster gills / sunfish. Mainly fishing around brush or any other structure.

Finally, her bobber goes down, she sets the hook, and her light action rod is just doubled over. She starts cranking on it, and the drag just screamed in the other direction! (heading for the brush, obviously... ) I reel my line in, pull up anchor, and am trying to chase this fish down before it gets her wrapped up. Its diving, going under and around the boat, making runs, ripping drag, and then finally... it happens. RIGHT in to the brush piles. Stuck. Now, we still have not even gotten a look at this thing. Im half tempted tp jump in and untangle it, just to see what it is, im so curious! I pull the boat right up in to the brush, and I can see the float about a foot under the surface, but its hung up good. After 10 minutes of careful handling, reaching my arm in the water to snap branches, and fanagling with a tiny paddle to pry up sunken tree limbs... we finally get it free. It must have gotten it rest while hung up, because as soon as it was free, the fight was back on! Still pulling drag and doggin' under the boat, but we still have no idea what this could be! Exhausted, it finally comes to the surface, and we get our first glimpse of this River Monster! And it turned out to be!!

........A Drum..... Sheephead... Silva' Bass! Haha. It was a little disappointing (for me) after expecting to see a 5lb largemouth or something... But she was thrilled to death.
They may not be much to look at, but they put up a heck of a fight on ultra light tackle!!! And it made her night, so thats always good for me!
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: River Monster 5-14-12

Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great Story

Lo the angler. He riseth in the morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Those drum put up a helluva fight.

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's awesome....regardless of species. I grew up catching big carp and has made me a better fisherman in terms of fighting fish. Great way to get "schooled"!
bigcarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great catch by your fiancee and great catch by you to have fiancee like that. Congrats
wrobin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great story, YakMan.
...and I agree with BigCarp, -I learned to fish by catching carp in Salt Creek before it began to get cleaned up.
Regardless of the species, a big fish is fun to catch!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

What part of the river are you fishing? Over the last couple years I have started to catch a bunch of sheep out of the DP. This spring I had a crawler on the bottom and caught a Flathead. Yes no lie. It was 23 inches I was in shock. Abouyt a year ago my friend got one a little smaller. Anyone else seeing this?
one8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.