"Claming Up" - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Claming Up"

Catching a few smallmouth the last couple of days. Good weather to be waist deep in the beautiful K3. One advantage to the low water is that you can practically wade the entire river. Caught 1 Sunday on a texas rigged, june bug, 6" finesse Power Worm. Caught 2 Monday, one on a texas rigged, tequila sunrise, 6" finesse Power Worm. The other (about 2 lbs?) on a 4" pearl shad Gambler Paddle Shad. Also caught 2 clams that didn't want to give back my baits! Sorry about the misaligned pics-every time I get somewhat comfortable Photobucket changes their format. Not good for a computer clutz like me!

slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: "Claming Up"

Never saw as many or as big clams as seeing this year. Kind of nice means water is better...

The Kank sure looks wadable at I 55 bridge maybe kayak be better if you brought an armed guard for parking lot....
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Excellent report. Nice fish. And a good clam too!

On a side note, is the parking lot near I-55 that bad now?
Ed H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thought it always was, never heard different.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Did ya check for pearls?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Nikster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Pictured below another decent 'flappin shad' smallie. They seem to want the flappin shad buzzed across the surface.

slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice fish slim

Blufloyd wrote
Quote:
if you brought an armed guard for parking lot....
Ed H asked
Quote:
On a side note, is the parking lot near I-55 that bad now?
Blufloyd replied
Quote:
Thought it always was, never heard different.
Floyd, Why do you "think" that? Why do you say that? Have you ever even fished the area?
I have fished the whole area near I-55 for over 40 yrs. Parked at the Miliken Lake parking area, Prairie Creek, the old lock and dam area - above and down stream of the bridge, parked along river road, parked at the trap area, and on the south side of the river by the bridge. Fished it a lot and NEVER, not ever, ever ever, ever, never had a problem or heard of a problem or read of any reports anywhere of any problems in that area. Only "reports" of problems I have heard were at the boat launch parking area and they have been minimal.

I wonder about you sometimes floyd. Heard the same kind of bogus crud from you about not being able to wade in the Vermillion at kickapoo State Park, and problems at snake den. You must have some awful bad luck or be easily confused.

Ed the likely hood of you having problems in that area no more or less than parking at most any fishing location and far less likely than most anywhere you would fish along the Chicago lakefront for perch (from what I have read in posts) - but hey, you can't believe everything you read on the internet
Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I spent a lot of time at Middle Fork and Kickapoo in the 80's . I was somewhat unpleasantly informed by folks wearing uniforms there was no wading. Even when there was no water once. There used to be a sign near every bridge in the park. By the way I wasn't wading I was hopping across wet areas along bank.

I don't remember anything specific under a trouble catagorie on my western swing tour a long time ago. Just things that never crossed my mind to go back. I know there was a grumpy woman and locals at on of those locations. Probably posted on here somewhere just escapes me.

Parking lots at I55 been on going thing on this board. The bowfishing guys had issues as I remember. I read articles in various papers about 'activity' up and down the state park areas. Just comes to mind that area is 'well known' . I believe a prospective outing by another former board was nixed by break ins occurring.

I have fished the Kankakee just not that far North.

For the record awhile back there was a lot of reporting of thefts and stuff at another location, I been known to fish but I never ran into anything while I was there which at the time was 2-3 times a week.

Must be slow fishing or you guys miss my smallmouth reports.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to DaBidness

I've always driven over that bridge off on I-55 back when i was in college at mizzou. Always wondered how the fishing was there.. Any good walleye action there local?
DaBidness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dabidness
Walleyes are where you find them on the river. Not many places you can "consistantly" catch walleyes on the Kank. They're there one or two times, missing in action the next dozzen trips. Only a fool would give up those few places where he can count on any eye action but they are caught in that area from Prairie Creek down to the rairoad bridge. Mostly good catfishing with some fair smallie action. very rocky, very wadable, tough fishing from shore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.