Kishwaukee in DeKalb. - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kishwaukee in DeKalb.

Hi boy's, my son just started NIU in DeKalb & I didn't realize that the Kishwaukee ran through DeKalb very close to the school. Anybody know how the fishing is out there? He likes to fish & it would give me a chance to fish the Kishwaukee. Many Thanks, billyk
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Kiswaukee river at airport road out side of Sycamore, park on the bridge and wade west its great pike country.

make your way to the train trussle and fish away with a small black and silver rapala works wonders.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a great fall adventure. I might try it.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jsun3thousand

In DeKalb, I have caught small mouth, rock bass, and suckers out of the Kish- I never put much time or effort into the DeKalb stretch of the river.
If your willing to drive there is some nice stretches of the Kish 15 minutes north of DeKalb. I spent most of my time on the Kish in the Kirkland/Kingston area. You can run into some great small river fishing if you put in the effort.
Also, I have a couple of places for some decent large mouth fishing if you're interested and a great catfish and carp location- all within 15 minutes of DeKalb. If you have anymore questions just ask. Jason
Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guy's- much appreciated! billyk
Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

dont waste ur time the dekalb stretch is garbage i have lived in dekalb my whole life and i know hte kish it hasmostly carp in dekalb stretch you if you really want to catch on the kish you have to go farther like in cherryvalley or near rockford where it enters the rock river trust me the kish in dekalb is garbage
bigwalleye101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

I agree, the DeKalb stretch is pretty shallow. Not much in their other than Carp. Once you get up by Kirkland, it's a different river. I have caught Walleyes up to 6 lbs, Smallies up to 22", 2 Crappie over 16"on consecutive casts, Give it a try.
Bass Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I go to NIU, and I just got back from fishing after class in the Kish. The river that runs through campus is incredibly shallow, yet I pulled out three northern on an ultral light between 20-25 inches, all in three consecutive casts and in the same exact spot. Caught two small largemouth in the same place. Tell your son to fish in the east lagoon on campus, and use small twister tails or red and silver meps. Medium sized bass only but its better than studying, plus there are tons of big carp that I always snag on accident.
ajderka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Kishwaukee

Hi Simba, Is that put in spot on the Kish. southeast of downtown Sycamore ? Thanks and tight lines.
bobs1961 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am also a student of NIU. The previous posts are unfortunately accurate/ the kish in in dekalb is very shallow. However, I have a theory. The river system from the Lincoln highway bridge all the way to the bethany rd. bridge is channelized and leveed for flood control. My theory is, that, if you can find any type of hole, with any kind of depth, the fish that migrate through this area will be there. I wish i could explore further north of campus, but I did find a little hole with some nice debris on the bend to the southeast of the music building. Have caught some good northern and smallmouth on black and white rapalas and other slash baits. Other than that, look at satellite maps on yahoo or google earth and find some farm ponds. they are always on private property, but if you ask the farmers they will usually let u fish them. I have caught several 5 pond plus lmb on some of the bigger ponds in the area. I wish i could give u some hints but I can't let these spots out for fear of losing the privilege of fishing them myself. GOOD LUCK!!!
niufisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.