ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Harrier Lake to open, Mallard Lake temporary closure

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wrobin 
#1 ·
A new fishing lake will be open as of Friday, May 22 at Pratt’s Wayne Woods Forest Preserve in Wayne. Northern Harrier Lake is 20 acres, and has a 40-car parking lot off Stearns Road west of Route 59. It is a former quarry and has received management for fishing. Stocked species include fingerling-sized yellow perch, smallmouth bass, walleye and channel catfish. Largemouth bass, bluegill and black bullhead are also present. To allow time for growth and breeding to establish healthy populations, fishing at Harrier Lake will be catch-and-release only.

For a more information on Harrier Lake, visit http://www.dupageforest.com/blog/default.aspx?id=6846.

Beginning on Tuesday, May 26, several improvement projects will begin at Mallard Lake Forest Preserve. In order to safely accommodate the construction work, the forest preserve will be closed to all visitors through the project’s completion, which is anticipated in fall 2009.

New features will include a 193-car parking lot, a boardwalk near the lake’s south area and a limestone trail linking newly constructed areas. A new entrance will be created on Schick Road. The project will also include stabilization of the northern portion of the preserve’s Mallard Lake, the District’s largest recreational lake. The installation of wave-break structures will dissipate future damage to the shoreline, while native-vegetation plantings will create healthy habitat on land.

For a description of the project at Mallard Lake, including a map of new features, visit http://www.dupageforest.com/projects.aspx?id=6714.

For questions on private-boating permits, call Visitor Services weekdays at 630-933-7248.

See less See more
#4 ·
The stockings have been small fish in the last year couple years, so they are still small. There has been water there for several years, though, so there might be some larger fish present.

It's designated as catch and release to allow time for the populations grow.

#6 ·
wow...glad to see a new lake opening. am surprised though that it is opening now. i ran into some conservation officers last spring at wayne pratt and was told it would be 2010 at the earliest before this lake would be open to fishing. might have to check it out this weekend.

#7 ·
Can't wait, I have my 10 rods and 10 buckets ready to go..I thought I beat all the bucket bashers to the punch..Ha, HA ....Have a great Memorial Weekend. :-D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.