Harrier Lake to open, Mallard Lake temporary closure - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Harrier Lake to open, Mallard Lake temporary closure

A new fishing lake will be open as of Friday, May 22 at Prattís Wayne Woods Forest Preserve in Wayne. Northern Harrier Lake is 20 acres, and has a 40-car parking lot off Stearns Road west of Route 59. It is a former quarry and has received management for fishing. Stocked species include fingerling-sized yellow perch, smallmouth bass, walleye and channel catfish. Largemouth bass, bluegill and black bullhead are also present. To allow time for growth and breeding to establish healthy populations, fishing at Harrier Lake will be catch-and-release only.

For a more information on Harrier Lake, visit http://www.dupageforest.com/blog/default.aspx?id=6846.

Beginning on Tuesday, May 26, several improvement projects will begin at Mallard Lake Forest Preserve. In order to safely accommodate the construction work, the forest preserve will be closed to all visitors through the projectís completion, which is anticipated in fall 2009.

New features will include a 193-car parking lot, a boardwalk near the lakeís south area and a limestone trail linking newly constructed areas. A new entrance will be created on Schick Road. The project will also include stabilization of the northern portion of the preserveís Mallard Lake, the Districtís largest recreational lake. The installation of wave-break structures will dissipate future damage to the shoreline, while native-vegetation plantings will create healthy habitat on land.

For a description of the project at Mallard Lake, including a map of new features, visit http://www.dupageforest.com/projects.aspx?id=6714.

For questions on private-boating permits, call Visitor Services weekdays at 630-933-7248.
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Are there big fish already present in Harrier? Or has it just recently been stocked with small fish? Thanks, Mops
mops7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh no! Mallard was my favorite. Guess I'll have to try out Deep Quarry and Bass Lake now...

I'm not sure, is this Harrier?

Old 05-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

The stockings have been small fish in the last year couple years, so they are still small. There has been water there for several years, though, so there might be some larger fish present.

It's designated as catch and release to allow time for the populations grow.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

@Maliboo - Looks like Harrier Lake in the picture. Just off Stearns Road, about 2 miles west of Route 59.

The island areas in the lake should provide habitat for birds and turtles. The area to the south east of the lake is a wetland.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

wow...glad to see a new lake opening. am surprised though that it is opening now. i ran into some conservation officers last spring at wayne pratt and was told it would be 2010 at the earliest before this lake would be open to fishing. might have to check it out this weekend.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Can't wait, I have my 10 rods and 10 buckets ready to go..I thought I beat all the bucket bashers to the punch..Ha, HA ....Have a great Memorial Weekend.
wrobin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.