ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Harrier Lake

9K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  mops7 
#1 ·
:-D Has anyone fished Harrier Lake? I went & scoped it out on Sunday & it seems you have to walk through the grass & weeds to get to any decent looking water no telling how many ticks are in there my wife found 1 on Monday & I'm wondering if it came from there or Because she had the back door open, back to the lake it looks pretty good with all the weed beds if you launch a bait out there! Thanx :-D

#2 ·
yeah i fished the lake sunday and got some nice bass and there are huge gills and even perch and sm mouth but you cant keep any thing out of that lake. but about the ticks i found two on me and a buddy found a few but try fishing the back side of the lake with plastics. good luck :)2

#3 ·
Went mon. for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Bunch of gills and small LMB's . A guy next to me was catching some nice bass on senko's.I was
fighting a pretty strong wind and only brought the 1 set up :roll: My son
had one tick on him, Idid not find any on myslf.I will go back,lake shows
alot of potential,if you can deal with the ticks in the weeds.

#5 ·
The District's fisheries biologist is always gathering fishing reports, and he pretty much agreed with what the other posters here have said.

Some nice bass and panfish have been caught. Bluegill and green sunfish 8 and 10 inches have been reported.

Regarding ticks, the District doesn't control for ticks in the forest preserves. Visitors are always encouraged to take precautions when enjoying the outdoors at any location. Wear long pants, tucking pant legs into socks, wear long sleeves, and consider applying insect repellant. (Go ahead, make a fashion statement! :lol: ) Always make sure to check for ticks and remove any you might find using a tweezers and not a match, nail polish or petroleum jelly. June is an active month for dog ticks. Deer ticks are not commonly found in DuPage County, though they are known to be present.

#7 ·
I'm from California, so I don't know much about ticks except what I heard. I heard they bury their heads in you and when you pull them off their head stays in and keeps burrowing into you! lol I know that's probably an urban legend or something, but its scary! I'm also afraid the damn thing will be on me and I won't know since I keep hearing people say other people found the ticks on them.

#10 ·
I have fished this lake about three times. Caught a few bass each time, most of them small; the biggest maybe 2 1/2 pounds. Saw tons of nice sized bass swimming by the shore but none were biting. Along with the bass caught a bullhead and a real nice crappie about 12in. Didn't see any other crappies swimming. Also caught some bluegill and green sunfish. The green sunfish are everywhere and apparently they are a real problem with over populating small lakes and ponds. They are everywhere along the shore.

The water is very clear and the fish are quite easy to see. Although there are lots of weeds along the shore, good spots to fish aren't hard to find. I would suggest wearing boots when walking around the lake as each time I have been back there it has been very swamp-like.

And yeah, there are a lot of ticks. Pulled three off me the first day I was back there.

Overall not a bad place to fish.

#11 ·
I fished there for the 1st time today. Resultts were not very good. I caought 1 bass and my buddy caught 2 bullhead. There were a lot of weeds and it seemed very shallow around the shore, with a few areas having deeper water. I caught mine on a senko and my buddy got his on minnows. It looks like it has potential, just need to figure out the structure a little better. I didnt find any ticks, but im going to look again just to be sure. The guy at Lee's told me they were doing good on largemouth and crappies. I'll try again Im sure. Lets keep this thread updated, I would imagine that there are big bass in there if it's been filled with water for a while. If not a soon to be nice lake none the less. I did find a bunch of garbage though. It's only been open for a few months and there are bags of garbage and empty worm containers laying around. If your guilty of littering please pick up after yourself so I dont have to. Lets keep our forest preserves clean. If you litter you are a dirty slob! Mops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.