Breakfast Time Bassin' (with pics) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breakfast Time Bassin' (with pics)

Ok, this is a blatant rip-off of that other thread, but that's what happens when you're popular, people copy you.

I work the graveyard shift so I don't fish on my lunch hour, but right after work about 7:30 or 8:00am. I usually fish the DuPage County Forest Preserves like East Branch, Meacham Grove, Spring Creek Reservoir, Songbird Slough, Mallard (when it was open) and West Branch. Eventually I'll get around to Blackwell, Hidden Lake, Pratt's Wayne Woods and maybe some others.

Lately though, the fishing in the a.m. has been really really tough so I've been trying to find a "honey hole," you know, one of those innocuous little ponds in a subdivision or park or corporate area that's not heavily pressured like the forest preserves. After trying a few places I saw on Google Earth, I've finally found one that's paying off big time.

Today was the first time I fished it, and here are the results from 8am to 10am:

Caught on my second cast with a 5" cinnamon senko, 17 inches:

A couple minutes later on a 5" cinnamon with fire tip senko, 18 inches:

A while later on a Rapala F9 silver floating minnow, 15 inches:

Then a bullhead on the 5" cinnamon with fire tip senko that was bigger than it looks in the pic:

And finally on my last cast, this 18" beast bent my hook! On the 5" cinnamon with fire tip senko:

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to justo72

Very nice! Looks like you found yourself a good honeyhole!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome action on the senko! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is that pond in Bloomingdale? It looks familiar
Old 06-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nice fishies.....healthy looking bass in that new honey hole of yours. Love it when they are smacking the senkos.

I think with the weather, you're better off in the morning anyways. I have been going at night to escape the heat lately.

Hope to see some more breakfast pics and reports.

Did they mostly bite close to shore? Casts along rip rap or vegetation. I have noticed that almost all of my bites fishing in a small pond come within 4-5 feet from shore in 6"-3 fow.
pchung3009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripsomelips
Is that pond in Bloomingdale? It looks familiar
Yeah, I think it is in Bloomingdale, but apparently it's "residents only" since the sheriff came and kicked me out today.

There were no signs, but the place was surrounded by houses so I kinda figured it was an iffy spot. Such a shame too cos I don't think anyone fishes that place. The bass seemed pretty naive and they were all close to the same size, 18". I don't think those residents appreciate what they have. God, I wish I lived there...

Now I feel like the forest preserves are hopeless. They've been extremely dead in the morning the last few weeks. Not just for me, but everyone I've talked to, and I always talk to every fisherman I see. What a drag. Guess I'll just keep looking on Google Earth hoping to find a honey hole where the residents don't call the cops. Funny thing too, I brought an empty garbage bag in my backpack to pick up some trash that other people had left there. I wanted to leave the place better than I found it. Oh well.

Quote:
Did they mostly bite close to shore? Casts along rip rap or vegetation.
They were actually a good distance out, maybe 15-20 feet in around 4 fow, next to weed beds. The Senkos were rigged wacky with an o-ring to make them last longer.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

So, this morning I spent 2 hours on a new little retention pond, one that's not surrounded by houses so it's probably safe. It was very full of weeds so I had to cast into pockets mostly. It started off very promising, on my very first cast before I could even turn the handle on my reel I got a fish to pick up my 5" cinnamon senko!

Just a dink:

But then it took 40 minutes before the next dink:

And then 40 minutes after that, this dink not only lost my senko, but when I got it to the bank it flapped its tail in the muck and splashed me good with mud!

Then I downsized to a 4" cinnamon senko since it appeared the fish were pretty small here, and 40 minutes later my 4th dink:

I'm not used to catching dinks on senkos, and two of them got throat hooked cos they were very gentle when they picked up the lure. Just a subtle moving of the slack, no "tap-tap." And they sure don't fight like the 18 inchers, I kind of horsed them in over the moss with my medium action St Croix. I think next time I'll bring my light action and Rapalas...
Old 06-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

So, today I brought my light action rod and a Rapala silver F7 floating minnow to check out another pond for the first time. This time the fish were a couple inches bigger and pretty close to shore, about 10 feet. I used the old "twitch-twitch-pause" technique, and the action was fast and furious.

If I keep catching this many I'll probably stop taking pics of every fish. Here's the 6 I caught in about 30 minutes at the new pond:

This one had a messed-up eyeball:

After these I still wanted to try the pond from yesterday with the Rapala so I left early and caught this little guy in the first few casts:

Then I hooked this fool:

After catching this spaz I decided to attack the bank that was holding hundreds of spawning sunfish right up to the shore, so I tied on a fly and hooked at least 50 of them. Good thing I didn't take pics of those!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've been trying out lots of new places this weekend. Yesterday I went to SEVEN different places and got totally SKUNKED! 4 parks, 2 forest preserves, and a retention pond with no luck.

First I went to Lake Becerra in Glendale Heights at about 5am since it was legal to fish there at that time. The lake is designated catch and release only and they're having a kid's fishing derby there next month so I thought it might be good pickings, but I had no strikes at all. I probably will try this place at a different time with different lures though since its so close to home.

Next I went to Lakeview Park near Meacham Grove forest preserve. I saw two guys put one of those mini bass boats with a trolling motor in the lake and cast lures. There isn't a lot of shore access here so I only stuck around about 20 minutes and kept an eye on the guys in the boat but didn't see or get any hook-ups.

Then I went up the street to Gorski Park which has a retention pond in it. One shoreline is accessible, but the rest is surrounded by houses so I had hopes it would be good like the other "private" retention ponds I've been to, but I got no action. I'm not even sure if there's fish in the thing. I guess there has to be for mosquito control huh?

While I was in the neighborhood I stopped at Maple Lake and walked way over to the spillway and got nothing.

Now after getting tired of NO STRIKES at all I headed to the totally legal retention pond I caught 4 bass at the other day and pretty quickly hooked one, but he leaped and threw the hook. Not wanting to waste too much time since I was on a scouting mission I left pretty quickly...

...and headed to Churchill Woods forest preserve. This place is part of the east branch of the DuPage River and I have no clue how to fish a river so I didn't really make too many casts but I did walk around and the atmosphere here is very nice.

Finally I headed to Lake Ellyn Park in Glen Ellyn and stayed for about 90 minutes trying to give it a fair shake. I did hook two fish which threw the hook, but it took a lot of work to get those two.

Whew! What a day! After that nightmare I wanted to make sure to catch some fish today, so this morning I went to the fast & furious retention pond I caught 6 at the other day, and proceeded to catch 4 in about 20 minutes including this 18 incher:

Then when the forest preserves were opened I went to Muskrat Pond at Hawk Hollow forest preserve right across the street from Deep Quarry. I think this place has promise since its probably not heavily pressured because there's no parking. I did catch one dink, and I have to apologize to those other retention pond fish I called "dinks" the other day, cos compared to forest preserve dinks, those were lunkers.

Next I hit Deep Quarry and got nothing but one "tap-tap" that was probably a bluegill nibbling my senko. This place confuses me, I only see one little cove that looks "bassy" and have no clue which spots to fish.

So, lastly I took the long walk to Bass Lake next door and did surprisingly well, catching 6 fish, only 2 of which were dinks, the others were 14-15 inches. I'll definitely be spending more time at Bass Lake in the future...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Today I went back to "Lake Becerra" at Heritage Park in Glendale Heights to work it thoroughly with senkos to see if there was any life in there. Unfortunately, I'm convinced there's no bass of catchable size in there. I didn't even see any sunfish, just carp. No weeds. I wonder how the kid's fishing derby is going to do there in a couple weeks. Maybe there's bullhead they can catch.

Headed over to Bass Lake after that and noticed a sign at Deep Quarry that said "Deep Quarry is open for night fishing. All visitors must be out of the forest preserve by 11pm." Since the normal closing time for forest preserves is an hour after sunset (about 9:30) I'm not sure if that extra hour and a half is much of a big deal.

Anyway, I had really bad luck at Bass Lake, I snagged my wacky wide gap finesse hooks THREE TIMES! Lots of fallen branches in the water there. So after running out of finesse hooks I decided instead of rigging Tex-Skin I'd go ahead and use a spinnerbait since there's pike in the lake and it'd be nice to be surprised. Didn't catch a pike, but got one 14" bass, then I cast my spinnerbait into a tree limb! I never do that! It was a nice War Eagle spinnerbait too. That hurts.

I'll probably take the day off tomorrow, looks like rain anyway...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.