ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Mallard lake to re-open

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fish4musky1 
#1 ·
Found this on the internet:

With the poor growing season last year into the fall and a dry spring, the District had to extend the construction contract, so we get one good growing season for all the planting that has occurred at Mallard Lake. The extension of the contract will have Mallard Lake opening on September 1, 2010. This will also give the District, the opportunity to treat the phragmites along the shoreline to open up more access for anglers. This will be done by spraying the plants by helicopter to cover more ground. We would have to close the preserve to do this operation for three weeks anyway.

#4 ·
Yeah, I hope the forest preserve cops just do laps of the lake every couple hours checking licenses. They are bound to make a killing those first few weekends.

It is good that the musky they stocked got a little time to grow. Maybe now they will be big enough to break some lines of those that would keep them or would parade them around for 25 minutes before letting them go.

#6 ·
My guess is that it was a poor growing season for native plants they want to plant. Many times non native or invasive plants grow better than natives so they have to kill the non native plants first. I googled phragmites and they are the tall reeds that surround so many areas of mallard.

#7 ·
This lake always had this problem and it is nothing new regardless of great growing season or not!

Anyway I am happy to hear that some shoreline will be opened up and I am sure the bucket brigade will be out in full force labor day!!!

I will pass!

I do give great praise for the work done by the dnr regardless of my opinion. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.