2008 Father/Son Quetico trip**Heading in pics added 07/16** - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2008 Father/Son Quetico trip**Heading in pics added 07/16**

Here's a short summary for now...

My son Alex and I arrived home from the Quetico and Seagull Outfitters
about midnight last night safe and sound from another
SUPER and SPECIAL trip.

We were towed to Hook Island by Seagull...portaged Silver
Falls and base camped on Saganagons.

Weather...warm enough temps that no one was cold
at any time of the day. Referring to a site that keeps
a history of the weather it looks like it rained everyday
but 1, the warmest was 78 with lows in the 50's. Even though
it rained almost everyday it was very intermittent except for
the day heading out when it rained just about all day long
into the next morning. It made for a very wet, muddy and
dangerously slippery portage going out yet felt refreshingly cool
while working up a sweat getting everything out. A few days
were windy enough to keep us wind bound on our campsite.

Bugs....when the mosquitoes were bad they were the worst I've ever experienced. I've always been kind of happy to say that I've never
been miserable due to a mosquito issue during my lifetime
but on this trip when they were bad they were horrible and I have to say I was uncomfortable. Our worst times were early morning before 9a.m andjust as the sun was hitting the horizon. My son Alex and I were
rooting for the numerous dragonflies that were patrolling our campsite
looking like stealth Blackhawk helicopters. Flies weren't much of a problem
at all. Ticks...Janice wasn't at the Ranger station, it was Lisa like last year. She reported a bad tick problem, however I believe we saw less then a half dozen for the entire trip.

Wildlife...let's see, numerous deer on the way up Gunflint trail(at night), bald eagles, foxes, river? otter, beaver, turtles, turkey vultures, snake, something bigger then a fox but smaller then a wolf, highlight a momma moose and her two new offspring....I know there's more I'll think of them in coming days.

Water...water temp was fairly cold for this time of year. My son tried swimming and when he got out after just a few minutes his legs were all red. Another tripper had a small portable depth finder with a gage and he said it was reading 52. To me it didn't feel that cold more like upper 50's. Well, it made for great drinking water. Report from a couple guys said Cache and Saganagons had the coldest water they experienced. When they were way up north on the falls chain it was warmer.

Water levels were extremely high, seemed like at least a 3 foot difference then last June. Silver Falls was a torrent. My biggest concern this year wasn't a big wind on the big lakes but the outflow at the end of the Silver Falls portage. That concern grew even worse when Lisa at the Ranger station informed me that even Janice the Ranger lady tipped trying to traverse this area. The concern on her face along with giving me other options to other parts of the park had me really second guessing trying to attempt this part of the trip. I'll have much more detail on this later but we managed to safely make the voyage.

Fishing...well if I had to give it a term I would give it a slow to picking up. I'm almost certain it was due to the cool water temps on Saganagons. Anyone going within the next couple weeks if the water temps continue to increase should have good to great success. I usually don't ask anyone what the fishing is like in order not to get any preconceived ideas or negative thoughts before I even start fishing, however this time I think I asked just about every group how the fishing was along with how the outflow was at the bottom of Silver Falls. 99% of the answers were slow or really slow which didn't really bother me much since AnglerEd and I will have outstanding fishing and still hear negative comments like those. The most optimistic we heard was from Lisa the Ranger gal who commented, "we're catching up".

Don't get me wrong we still caught plenty of fish but we didn't run into any feeding frenzies or easily cast anywhere and catch a fish. We both managed to catch some dandies also...My son Alex caught the biggest smallmouth of the trip at 21", I couldn't have been more happy for him My best was a 20" smallie and a 29.5" walleye along with a 27.75" & 26" walleye all taken on the same day in bright sunlight in very calm conditions. We both caught numerous chunky pike, 1 rock bass and I lost 1 laker. For some reason I

had a lot of trouble losing the bigger smallies on the barb less hooks. I'll have

much more detail and pictures on all this later.

Well that's it for now it'll take a little while to post the more detailed report depending on how busy work is Oh yes, and I'm still bringing too much gear and food, I really need to read this sentence before going next year

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

All in all it sounds like another good time Dave
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah Ed, we had a great time!

Oh, was your ear ringing, you wouldn't believe how much we talked about you. Every so often I'd remember something from one of our trips together and tell Alex about it. It got to the point where Alex kept asking me, "tell me more about Ed and your trips together". We spent one evening where the whole conversation was about different subjects about you and me, like the time on the radio show he couldn't believe it

Dave
Old 06-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallidave
Yeah Ed, we had a great time!

Oh, was your ear ringing, you wouldn't believe how much we talked about you. Every so often I'd remember something from one of our trips together and tell Alex about it. It got to the point where Alex kept asking me, "tell me more about Ed and your trips together". We spent one evening where the whole conversation was about different subjects about you and me, like the time on the radio show he couldn't believe it

Dave
Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Another great Report Dave...I cannot wait until my daughter is old enough to do a trip like that....until then...looks like she has to settle for Fox river cats and farmpond gills.
Scout
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here's a few pics from our recent trip to the Quetico

Biggest smallie of the trip which my 10 year old son C&R.

Released

Biggest walleye of the trip

Second biggest walleye

All fish released.

Dave
Old 07-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck
Default Good report

That sure was a good report, Dave, and also some good fish. I bet your son will never forget that trip. He will have a lot of interesting tales to tell his buddies.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

DOINK!
Nice eyes Dave and I love the picture of the smallie in the water
Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME!

He'll never forget it, There are some 10X12's there for your wall,

Great report & pic's, heck imo you could have added more photos. Campfire, scenic, etc., heck don't think you boring us.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Nikster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

what a great trip you and your son had thanks for giving us story&pictures to share in your canoeing adventure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.