Kentucky Lake Report, April 14th & 15th (West TN Area) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kentucky Lake Report, April 14th & 15th (West TN Area)

I have a buddy that fishes club tournaments. Sometime I'll pre-fish with him for a club tournament because we have different fishing styles. Between us we can usually find something the bass are interested in and capitalize on it.

Saturday, April 14th we hit Kentucky Lake out of Eva, TN, launching just before dawn. Water temps in the mid 60's first thing in the morning try some topwater on an underwater point I know; I get a couple on a spook jr., we try spinner bait, lipless crank, crank baits, and even some texas rigged bait, but after about an hour the wind is rough and we decide to follow our original plan to fins fishable water off the main river because the Sunday tournament will be during a high-winds day.

We hit the first bay on our list and pull one dink off the mouth on the way in. The inside of the bay sees a couple different crank baits from me, a spinner bait and a topwater; still the spook jr. My buddy sticks with a junebug lizard, pegged texas rig. I even threw a rage-tail frog and a swimming fluke a little bit. I don't understand why this bay wasn't working out, but onward to the next spot.

It's mid-morning before we start in the next bay. We're in this one a long time. We work our way back following the south shore line starting in the middle of the bay and heading shallow. I get some action on a Luhr Jensen speed trap in chartreuse and throw that for about three fish. As we get further back into the bay the wind gets up a little more and I switchover to throwing a Terminator T-1 brass & silver tandem willow blade spinner bait with a chartreuse and white skirt. I'm having pretty good luck on the spinner bait when the water is 3-4 feet deep and we either throw close to the shore or around cover. My buddy sticks it out with his texas rig, occasionally switching it up, but we're only catching fish steady; not real great. We did get to a specific spot that was a small cut at our magic 3-4 foot depth. The temps in there are slightly higher (upper sixties) and it is covered from the wind. This place was stacked pretty deep with keeper bass (over 15" on KyLake). I caught at least 5 keepers and several short fish on that spinner bait in this one area. My partner for the day gets 3 or 4 on the lizard, and probably the nicest at about 3.5 lbs. Worked this cut for an hour to get these fish. We were pretty pleased, and decided to go and hit a couple other spots in the same bay.

Found a small 5 foot deep wind-blown point covered in rocks that was holding fish, I caught two keepers on the first pass, and a third, over 3 lbs., on the second pass. All on the spinner bait. Now this is starting to get to the guy in the boat with me. He doesn't like spinner baits in the first place, but ties one on because I am wearing him out pretty good now, 8 keepers to 3, all on a spinner bait. We try the mouth of the bay, fighting the wind but the partner is the only one to catch anything there. We move back to the cover of the bay and beat the shoreline a while and catch a keeper spotted bass and a couple short largemouth, again on the spinner bait. Driving my buddy crazy now. He is still picking up the occasional fish on the texas rig, but the spinner bait bite is on. He finally starts to throw one after I catch one more keeper. We go back to the wind blown point and I still catch the fish. Well, to make a long story a littler shorter, I end up loaning him a couple spinner baits for his tournament on Sunday and we call it a day about 2:00 p.m. with probably a littler over two limits between us and maybe 15 pounds for our top 5.

Sunday I get a call from my buddy. He has a good day in the cut we fished on Saturday; catches a limit and culls a couple of times. Missed an 8 pounder at the boat, caught a 6.5 pound kicker and got a little over 16 pounds for the day; all on a texas rigged junebug lizard. He won his club tournament and got big fish for the day. He even shared that cut with another club member, and that guy came in second! Go figure; we must have sore-mouthed the spinner bait bite the day before....

Tight Lines;
J.R. (no longer) in Plainfield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.