New to CLF and to fly fishing! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to CLF and to fly fishing!

Afternoon!

I'm relatively new-ish to Illinois and the Western Suburb area, new to fly fishing, and of course, to CLF.

I grew up in the UP of Michigan through the 80s, 90s, then kicked down to Grand Rapids for college. Living on the water and outdoor life in general are by no means a new venture, but I'll tell you what... Dad wasn't much for fishin'. We're talking 4-5 times over the course of a decade. Pretty much everything I've picked up along the way has come by way of trips with friends, family, or just winging it. We're now located in La Grange, and I've joined up here, looking to find my way beyond my baitcaster.

Enter fly fishing and adult life... I've got a busy wife, a rambunctious kid, and a big goofy dog, so anything remotely... remote... is right up my ally. This type of fishing seems like a lot of moving parts for 'fake it til ya make it', so took a casting workshop in Western Springs for a couple hours one saturday morning last fall, and I was hooked! I mean, we were throwing strands of yarn at tennis balls on what I'm 95% sure was a park district soccer field, and I probably could have done it all day, I was having so much fun. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you the first thing about tactical selection or even tell you the name of the fly I'm looking at, but I'm certain I'll have a blast learning.

My 70+ year old mom, bless her heart, heard I was curious about this stuff, so she sent me a 5/6 starter kit from Dick's for my birthday last year. Thomas & Thomas it is not... but it'll at least hold line and fling it in a general "over there" direction for me, to get things started. Some smartass included a green butt monkey streamer in the package as well... and a nymph pimp (these were the people who were responsible for my formative years, yet they wonder where it comes from?). Thankfully my wife got me going on a monthly fly gear subscription that sends me a dozen hand tied flies once per month (I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I sure get geeked when they arrive), and I've upgraded the line & the reel. Other gear wise, I enjoy fishing from a kayak, and want to find some waters where I can walk or combine the two.

Anyway, that's my story. I'm a complete novice. Hopefully I'll learn some valuable stuff around here, and have some fun meeting folks who have been doing it for years.
YakYak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to stlhed

I'm in Clarendon Hills. I'll take you out to a pond sometime and we can at least catch a few bluegill and get the casting down. Once we do that, we can head over to the DuPage and mess around with some smallies and/or carp.
stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhed View Post
I'm in Clarendon Hills. I'll take you out to a pond sometime and we can at least catch a few bluegill and get the casting down. Once we do that, we can head over to the DuPage and mess around with some smallies and/or carp.
That sounds awesome, stlhed. I appreciate the offer. I don't know what your weekends look like, but it seems every time i turn around there's something blowing out my weekend priorities before I even get a chance to put fishing on the list.

I took my son out to the FPDDC trout fishing for kids event last weekend, saw a guy with a little fella, no snoopy pole, but a fly rod tube and a look of "don't mind me..." I thought, "man - I shoulda done that!" but changed my mind after seeing the treecops stalking him.. the fishing was supposed to be 15 and under only.
YakYak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am up in Streamwood, Pretty new to the fly fishing scene as well. I am hoping to find some good info as well on here.
Bross1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sort of like OP, I'm new to fly fishing, new to Chicago, and live in the western suburbs. I've made it up a few times to SW Wisconsin, but am looking for local spots as well. Have yet to catch a fish on the fly! Would be happy to go out fishing with someone too. I'd be happy to organize a little outing, but I don't know of good local spots.
ohtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to flydoc44
Default kayak flyfishing

Purchased a 2016 Hobie Mirage at end of last season, got out a few times on small ponds and had some luck. Was wondering if anyone flyfishes out of a kayak also? Would be willing to fish together sometime, would really like to try the Kankakee. Anyone interested? I know its early but I thought I'd put the question out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.