building bobbers...ok floats - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2003, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default building bobbers...ok floats

This is my first post here so hello to everyone! I am interested in starting a line of floats for sale. I'm wondering if anyone has built styrofoam and or balsa floats here that could provide me with some words of advice. How to build them...where to get materials, etc. Raw balsa appears very expensive and I am wondering if it is possible to produce floats in a way that will be price competitive in todays market. Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,

RM
RiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2003, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Bad News, and GOOD News!

There are lots of companies making foam & Plastic Bobbers
This was a great idea 30 years ago

Plastic, and foam are cheap to make.
And produce cheap results.

But not as effective as a balsa float for many reasons.

This is why none are sold in Europe rest of the World.

they are sold to many US & Canadain anglers who have not had the exposure learn what is best

Branches make cheap rod, much cheaper than Graphite.
But Graphite is better, as is Fiber Glass if your just starting

Glad I saw this post , great to be able to help teach people to fish.
Not BUY JUNK
Mick Thill
Good Luck
Mick

Inducted to the Hall of Fame in Hayward, WI as a Legendary Angler 2005
Mick Thill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2003, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default OOPS ! R M......investors invited to Buy MTF!

OOPS
This is my 180 post
I missed part of your question
Ref Balsa Bobbers
I can help you here too River man
I own a High Speed Balsa Float making Machine for sale
Do you want to own & run a multi Million $ tackle company
I know a little about making Floats, and the US Market
My designs are in every Major Store Walmart, Bass Pro etc, and tackle shops in North America.
Im looking for new investors.
big programme that includes Videos, Books full range of tackle thats needed here in the USA.
Going to back China to teach China's Top Tournement Anglers how Rod & Reel & Pole Floats are used, and work
China are competeting for 1st time in the CIPS World Championships Slovakia this coming September.
Hope you can make it to to learn how the rest of the World Fishes
It would be great research for you.
Then you would learn how , why floats are better than Bobbers
Then you could teach anglers in your State and locally!
We all need to do this to protect, and help our sport of fishing grow

PM me if you are ior any other investor is interested in my knowledge, and my business
Mick Thill

Inducted to the Hall of Fame in Hayward, WI as a Legendary Angler 2005
Mick Thill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2003, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you Mick for your time and professional opinion. After researching floats and makers I would agree that Americans are very much living in the "dark ages" when it comes to this subject. I would not agree, however, that making floats was good 30 years ago and not today. I am 41 yrs old and have fished for steelhead for the last 25 or so. We didn't see a float other than the old round cork bobbers and plastic red and white clip-ons here where I live until the last 15 or so yrs. We still don't have any of the floats that can be found in the UK other than a very basic line of cigar-shaped balsa floats by Thill. Each year there are literally thousands of sytrofoam floats sold to fisherman (me being one of them) going after salmon and steelhead in the Northwest, someone is making them, and someone is making money from them. I see no reason why I cannot join the party.

On another post I made you suggested that the 1/4 and 1/2 ounce jigs we are using are very heavy....I would agree. I think most guys would like nothing more than to be able to rig a float with one (or none at all) small split-shot to get the bait down. Please understand though that many of the rivers we are fishing here are quite swift and deep. The steelhead and salmon will lay at the current's edge in more than 15 feet of water. If you don't throw out a heavy jig, by the time 15-20 feet of line slides all the way through the bobber you will be at the end of the drift. There are situations here where we will use up to 3 ounces of lead followed by a leader with bait, jig, etc., so that you can get the offering down fast! If not, you will never get to where the fish are at.

I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and experience when when it comes to float fishing Mick. In fact I feel privlaged to be able to have a chat with you. I would very much like to have a fraction of your experience in this regard. For the most part tho we salmon and steelhead fisherman in this part of the country are not fishing crystal clear, shallow waters. We are often fishing with visibilities in the foot or less range, in deep water, in swift water, noise is not a factor. When the fish takes the offering it's very obvious, the float is gone! So long as the float is properly balanced, I sincerely doubt it makes any difference as to whether the float is made of plastic, wood, or styrofoam.

If given the choice I would probably give balsa the advantage but for me getting started in this business it looks to be cost prohibitive. I cannot afford huge machines that crank out thousands of identical balsa floats but I can build silicone and epoxy molds and pour in expanding plastics and styrofoams. I have a great day job and intend to do this as a side-line, if for no other reason it will be fun. Thank you again Mick for your response.

Best Regards.

RiverMan
Jed Volkman
Oregon
Old 06-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I use some of my floats for steelhead but I like the North West Floats form
Fishermans marine sup. in Portland. Cigar shape, soft foam,soft landing.
I use Fireline for bobber fishing and have a problem with the line cutting the soft tube in them. If you come up with something like them with a harder tube I will buy some.
Steve
The floats that I make are from cork ring for rod building or balsa with cork ends so they hold up better with the heavy use from steelhead and jig fishing here in the North West.
Former Resident is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2003, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Former Res, thanks for your input and I will make a note of this concern of yours. You know I live in Pendleton and here we don't see the Northwest Floats. I have had several people mention them to me but apparently they don't offer them online. If you knew of a web-site where I might be able to see them I would very much appreciate it.

Best Regards,

RM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.