MountThis! No not that, this. Got any? Post your trophy's here - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to PeterB
Default MountThis! No not that, this. Got any? Post your trophy's here

-

I've been contemplating Marty's suggestions on The Brute mount, my Door County Bronzeback replica and was curious to what anyone on CLF, The best fishing site in Chicago's fishermen may have on display at their digs

Btw I get it's all personal preference with many many options...
I've googled smallmouth photos, looked a little here and there, mouth open gills flared is a no brainer but driftwood no driftwood,
S Curve to the left/right, tail up tail down, lure no lure lost of options to consider arent there?

What did you do with yours? Talk is cheap whisky costs money So let's see em. Post your photos mo, specs and where you hooked it.

If you don't have one yet it's cool post a photo of favorite position on your fav species. What would be your choice?

What would be your preference, like don't like and how would you or would you mount a replica and why?

Your thoughts? Any and all suggestions, pics you have are welcome

My Son NicholasPeterB with one of my two mounts to date... You can rotate her around to show in different perspectives.

Slow long line trolling in late fall evening/morning hours.

She's slightly over 28" fraction over 10lb. Muskegon MI EyeBall on a dark green husky jerky -

Got to run, post more later thanks.

-

-

Old 02-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

That walleye looks absolutely lifelike .
Whoever did the work was excellent !

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
That walleye looks absolutely lifelike .
Whoever did the work was excellent !

Replica mount of the kid ain't bad either

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

-

Thanks Glen. That was the actual fish that expired in the livewell prior to being released.

I'm not a pro but I think it makes the difference as opposed to the plastics that they use on the replicas.

Makes sense to me that the actual fish versus chunk of plastic would end up a better product, natural colors etc.

-----

That said yes Dan Wilkes in Muskegon did do a nice job for the tripod and change it ran and approx year it took.

He threw in that piece of natural driftwood actually found in the banks of Muskegon. Thank you DW you did good brotha.

-----

There's a couple views I like for The Brute. I believe facing right is a preference although I'm not committed to it yet..

Something like this is pretty cool looking

-
Old 02-24-2016, 06:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nice fish there, is that the one you caught trolling with Lance?

I would be careful posting pictures of your son on the internet, there are a lot of weirdos out there.

Went fishing and had a drink or went drinking and caught a fish?
Ichthyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Pete - that is a very nice, clean walleye mount! The ONLY thing I am not super fond of (and this is more of a personal preference) is the ragged fin edge look. That's not natural, but a result of the drying process with skin mounts. The way I back my fins on skin mounts (I believe) is cleaner looking and certainly much stronger and longer lasting than this traditional method. And fyi, I'm nit-picking. As I said it is a very nice mount and those fins aren't going anywhere unless you bang them on something - lol.
And although not politically correct these days, your statements about a skin mount being "better" here have some validity. Markings in particular. The tail and upper fin markings on a walleye are extremely subtle and very difficult to replicate on a walleye replica. Even with the best fish taxidermists. And for the record as far as duration goes, a well done skin mount (with minimal maintenance if at all) will last just as long as a replica. Contrary to what some folks believe (that's because they pluck out the worst skin mounts as examples). I have 20 year old skin mounts that look as good as the day I created them and have seen 40+ year old skin mounts stand the test of time as well. It's ALL about proper training and WHO did the mount when it comes to quality.

I/We practice and promote C&R by typically offering either replica or skin for generally the same price so that it is a personal choice. And in fact with the level of detail and time we put into our skin mounts our skin mount prices will soon be more if not already higher (FYI, my partner is arleady a buck higher an inch for his skin mounts). I just wanted to throw this out there before I get beat up by some - lol!
815-744-1380
Mount Album: http://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthyguy View Post
Nice fish there, is that the one you caught trolling with Lance?

I would be careful posting pictures of your son on the internet, there are a lot of weirdos out there.
So true

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

-

Yes I hear ya Arty, makes sense. Never noticed it or thought about it but now that you mention it I see what you mean.

Interesting. I see that my Musky mount fins are thicker looking and appear as you mentioned much more durable looking.

Perhaps its just the species or as you suggest the drying process. I'll get a snapshot of it and posted for you to comment on sometime.

-

Still looking out for that downward view S curve left or right you mentioned... This one is obviously

#2 look...Tail up.

These last two colors are also darker than I remember the Brute being as well although it probably shows better.

Brute was more on the lighter striped bronze greenish like looking. I'll have to go back and check on the photo again and see

-

Btw I also understand why tail up is one of the most popular mounting options...

It just shows best and takes our eyes directly to the subject doesn't it?

-
Old 02-26-2016, 03:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Good thing you deleted the picture you had here... It was reported to me before you deleted it and it was going to be your last post...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

-

Thank you.

-

Now this one here looks like it faded a bit to me perhaps its poor tax work not sure if its just a bad pic but I can see the difference is dramatic in #3

plastic right ?

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.