Fines issued for fishing in Rock Run Quarry - VICTIMIZED! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fines issued for fishing in Rock Run Quarry - VICTIMIZED!

I was fishing this past Sunday near Joliet in the "Rock Run Quarry" when I was approached by the IL DNR and asked how the fishing was. Then they performed a complete boat inspection and live well check. All standard. After a bunch of small friendly talk, they issued us each a $75.00 fine for "Fishing in a posted no fishing area". I was dumb-founded and had no idea I was violating the law.

Now what doesn't seem fair is that there are NO SIGNS that are VISIBLE to anyone entering this quarry. The DNR officer claimed there are yellow signs along the river bank. After searching a while, I found some itty bitty signs over 100 feet away from the opening. These signs were so small that I would have to trespass just to read them. They are on the bank and the water is only 3-5 inches deep for over 100' away from the bank. So how the heck can anyone read the sign?

Anyway, I wasn't the only one ticketed and I know several other fisherman love to fish this spot regularly. BEWARE, the DNR conservation police are not issuing any warnings...just raising some revenue.

Please understand, I do not have a problem with private property, and obeying the law; however, if this spot is off limits then it seems only right to post a sign that you can ACTUALLY READ right at the entrance to the so called "non navigable waterway" that I and several other boats seem to navigate with ease.

I plead my case but their pens never paused. I fished this area for several years and never knew it was once private property and now is owned by the forest preserve of will county.

To add insult to injury, the DNR Officers had a few fishing poles with spinnerbaits and crankbaits tied on and ready to go. I guess they planned to fish a little after booting us out.

As you can tell by now, it's the principle of the matter, not the $75 fine. Has anyone else experienced this at the same location or another location? Any suggestions on how to beat this stupid fine would be greatly appreciated.
Spinnerbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

That stinks. If the sign wasn't readable and was placed out in no man's land, where as you said, you would have had to tresspass to read it, you were robbed! Take pictures and vidoe-tape of the place and bring them with you to court (if you're going to court). I hope you beat the rap.
El Carpo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2004, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

If there weren't any "No Trespassing" signs at the normal entrances and exits, I would be taking pictures ASAP and fighting it when I had my day in court. Illinois law is pretty clear about this matter of signage and we have run into it numerous times with our family farm down here. Many time a PCO or Sheriff has told us - You only have to post the normal entrances and exits, but they must be posted.

I belive the resonable place to expect "No Trespassing" signs would be entering an area from a public right of way or at the ramp/parking area if only the lake is closed.

I say fight the jack booted thugs if yer in the right...

If you missed a sign and yer not in the right, pay the fine and move on...

Proud Member of The Soggy Bottom Boys!
WNE Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2004, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Spinnerbug-

Do some research. States usually have requirements on how close signs must be placed to each other, as well as from access points. Typically, if the signs don't meet those requirements, you cannot be charged for trespassing as long as you leave once it is brought to your attention.
FishinChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2004, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice and replies. I wasn't actually cited for trespassing, rather fishing in a "no-posted" fishing area. I did take some pictures and I will fight this in court. It just stinks cause I'll have to take time off of work, spend $30 in gas to get to Joliet and back, and it'll cost me more than $75 to "win".
Old 04-20-2004, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Getting the info from the Safe Boating Coarst held by the Coast Guard, They stated it is WELL WORTH the trip to court to beat the rap. That applies for most of what the DNR issues out for tickets. In fact half in not more of these case are thrown out by the Judge because the DNR itself is not fully following the law and/or understanding it properly. Sometimes it is not the DNR's fault just the fact that there are SO MANY of them with some contradicing each other or just not in plain easy to follow lauguage. Take the pictures and build the case with the advice others have given here.

Besides, I believe it worth not getting the points on your fishing license, I believe.

Of course, luckily I guess, I have yet to have experience with this.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Which department?

I am guessing that it was the Will County Forest Preserve Police and not the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (CPO's) that cited you. I know a few and had discussed several recently purchased areas by the Will County Board in Channahon, Bolingbrook and Plainfield that are earmarked for fishing but haven't been opened to the public yet. I wasn't aware that they were actively patrolling there. Just curious, I'm figuring that you are talking about the quarry at US Rt. 6 and Youngs Rd. There used to be a makeshift ramp along Rt. 6 near Sara's restaurant that might allow for entry but other than that or accessing the lakes from the industrial site I wasn't sure how you could get a boat in there. Maybe you are talking about a different spot.
Worm drowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2004, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default which department

Worm Drowner,

I never drove to this quarry, but it is adjacent to Rt 6 somewhere. I launch at big basin marina and head left. You can access this quarry through a narrow channel through the marsh. There are duck blinds, etc on the way in; howver, not a single posted sign for "No Fishing", No Trespassing", etc.

My ticket was written by a Laura Petreikip. The ticket is from the Forest Preserve District of Will County.

They should simply post some signs so people will stay out. It's a real shame because this quarry has ample nice bass and was a joy to fish. These officers had a few poles with them so I guess they were planning to fish once they kicked us out.

This whole thing just frosts me because it is a case of classic entrapment. Why not just parade a bunch of naked women in front of my house and then write me a ticket for drooling? you know what I mean...

Any suggestions to beat this rap in an econimical way (like a phone contact) would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Laura Petreikis is indeed a DNR agent, and was most likely with her husband, a DNR agent as well.
We've been checked by them while fishing local creeks.
I never realized that they carried numerous pads of citations like that.
They are in Peotone, so they could put that Will County book to good use just by spending a day at Monee Reservoir.
That place is patrolled by Will County Sherrif's police working side duty for the Forest Preserve Dist.

Good luck in your case, it looks as though you'll have no trouble beating it.
Bummer that it will cost ya anyway...been there and done that.

Mike Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2004, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tmiedona

Fight that ticket.

Laura is a bitch. She issues ticket to get a power trip over men. She was 1 who stood at boat ramp of braidwood for illinois valley tournament and issued tickets left and right. I give her the bird every time i see her in peotone. They live right off of 50 in peotone, trucks are right in front feel free to do what u will with info.
tmiedona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.