ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Current water temps?? Cold water Musky Tips?

4K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  MuskyOnTheFly 
#1 ·
Anyone have a current water temp on the Fox? Also, has anyone had success fishing Musky in the winter months on the river and if so on what type of presentation and what type of areas? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

#2 ·
I really haven't fished for muskies in the fall, but in the spring I have found them around creek mouths and below dams.

As far as the river temp, I don't have it but the crappies are firing up pretty good but the walleyes haven't really kicked in yet.

#14 ·
I'm throwing big Crankbaits. Picked up a pig jig and twister today and have to give it a try. Eratic twitching should trigger a strike. Some people fish slow because the fish are slow. But sometimes if you fish faster it will wake some of those fish up. How many have you gotten from the Fox this year?

#19 ·
I know the info is kind of coveted but I was wondering if anyone could give me a starting point. I am about 45 minutes away and have never seen the Fox River. So I am unclear of where t o park the car or what town to start at. I mostly fish in Wisconsin for musky and pike (cpr only). I have not fished in few weeks and I am already itching for some action. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#21 ·
lkm, you say your about 45 minutes away but not whether you are north or south.
A destination town and the parking suggestion may require knowing if you are 45 minutes from the river in the Yorkville area or the Elgin area, or...

#23 ·
lkm, you could take I90 out toward the river then.
Find S. Elgin and fish from the dam down for the next 1.5-2 miles and there are muskies caught in the stretch each winter.
Best bet the east side of the river.
There is parking on the west side right at the dam, a good map will show a bridge in S. Elgin and the dam is right there.

For parking down river, there are a couple city parks on the east side of the river.

#24 ·
I've always wanted to fly fish the Fox for some muskies, but never really had the chance. I've heard that they bite pretty well in the winter, so I might be out sometime over the next 4 weeks (for semester break from college) if somebody wants to join me :D Any advice on location, color or species of baitfish that I should be imitating with my flies? Advice on what to do if temps go up? or down? Thanks.
-MuskyOnTheFly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.