Best Fillet knife and length ? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Fillet knife and length ?

I am looking for a fillet knife. I might even like a folding one if they make one. What is your favorite brand, model and Length of your fillet knife ? If you like electric- tell me so and what brand you use. I am looking for one for panfish, catfish and walleye. Help me out. Thanks for the input.
basscaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Electric. Once you try one you'll never look back. I use mine on anything from gills to salmon. NOTHING quicker. I use a Mister Twister. Have for about 20 yrs. The only thing I use a filet knife for is removing the dark lateral line meat and fine tuning prior to cooking. They take a LITTLE getting used to but once you get it down you'll be a happy fisherman.... not that you aren't now.
3fshys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Electric all the way for me. I picked up an electrical knife that you would use for a turkey for a dollar at a garage sale about 3 years ago. If you have one laying around your house you have an electric fillet knife. I can't really tell any difference between that knife and my electric Fillet Knife from Cabelas. Best 1 dollar I ever spent.
shawn244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, it depends on how often you use the knife. In my business I use fillet knives daily. I have tried just about every fillet knife out there. And I always keep coming back to the cheapo - "Ol Reliable". And that would be a 6" Rapala Fillet Knife. It will last many years before it no longer will hold an edge. I never did get use to an electric fillet knife. I can keep up with most anybody in the fish cleaning house with My Rapala. Even the Electrics. But again, my knife is like a 3rd hand to me...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: http://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to JDSPINNERS

Rubber handled 8 inch Rapala. Can filet just about any average size fish in less than a minute. :wink:
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree with the rubber handled Rapala knives. I do use the electric occasionally with bigger fish but seems like I miss some of the meat on smaller fish like gills and crappie.
panfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have 3 of different lengths and flexibility for different fish. It takes practice, as with anything.

"The best" is a personal preference. I have not used an electric knife, and probably never will, because I've taken the time to learn with regular knives. I filleted hundreds of ice-caught, small yellowbass, back when the Chain was over-loaded with them. Now I can fillet anything

I too have a Rapala knife. Mines about 20 years old and has a hard handle, material unknown. It still has the best blade of ALL the knives in my house. I can take all the meat off a bluegill, leaving the bones intact, including the short bones coming off the spine, with this knife.

If you are not good with an electric knife you will waste a lot of good fish.

time is short
no one is really okay
life is quick
dead is dead
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Jds

I just picked up one of the rubber handled rapalas. It is nice

I really didn't need a new one but it was in a starter kit with pliers, clippers, and some other things I bought for my 10 year old nephew. I didn't think he should have the knife just yet.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

After my wife seeing me go through a couple of knives, she bought me a CUTCO a few years back for my b-day. It has a rubber handle and an adjustable blade from 6 to about 9 inches. Incredible edge on it, flexible, best one I have ever owned. It is about $60 bones though.
billymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Jim - I'll have to try the 8" Rapala - I didn't even know they made them!

BillyMac - I have had a Cutco fillet knife for many years. Their serrated knives are second to none. But as far as the fillet knife goes, I still prefer the Rapala over the Cutco. Probably a personal preference, but I think the Rapala is a tad more flexible. The Rapala blade is also thinner and easier to pull through fish. And lastly, the Cutco takes longer to get an edge vs. the Rapala. The Cutco initially held the edge much longer but again more difficult to get an edge back. And I've tried every sharpening device imagineable. The best and quickest is the paper wheel sharpening system. I can get a razor sharp edge back on my Rapala in about 30 seconds with the wheels. But the Cutco takes me several minutes. Try their serrated knives if you ever get a chance. They are incredibly SHARP. In fact, I once was cutting (with a serrated Cutco) some John's Elgin Meat Market sticks to make them shorter. And the sticks "rolled" on me and I slid the Cutco right over my index finger. Even with minimal pressure it nearly went to the bone - OUCH!!!
815-744-1380
Mount Album: http://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.