ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Cougar sighting

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  FishinMatt 
#1 ·
My brother in law lives next to an area that is loaded with wildlife. He spots deer almost daily from his porch. About 2 weeks ago he had saw what he describes as a big cat. He said he was positive it was a cougar. It looked right at him and went on its merry way. I guess it moved on, he spotted some deer the very next day where the cat was. I would have guessed they would smell the cat and leave, but that was not the case. I would bet theres more of these roaming about without being noticed much. Here I was second guessing myself when I saw one about 2 yrs ago. I assumed it was the same one they caught in city, but now I think it may have been a different one. I'd be willing to bet we hear more about these animals this year. Hopefully it wont be of an attack. Would they follow a person into the water to attack? I was thinking thats where I would go if i was fishing, and one happened to stumble upon me. Before the naysayers rip him for being drunk or something,,, hes a non drinker LOL. Good fishin............................

#5 ·
Dupont monster? Big Foot? Kangaroo?

I have relatives near the Illinois River. They say there are wild monkeys running around in LaSalle county. I once or twice thought I saw a kangaroo hopping across Rt 83 near Sag Quarries. I've seen foxes the same color as a blue sky. I've seen all black deer in Cook County forest preserves. I could've sworn I used to see "gyro falcons" at Kankakee River State Park. They looked like they were flying backwards. I remeber in Lake Geneva seeing what locals called "lung fish." They would come up from the depths about every 45 minutes and inhale a big bulp of air, and disappear. I know I see wolverines or badgers on the Des Plaines River. When I was young, I remember flying squirrels were common. Cougars? That would be the least surprizing sight for me to see. Probably the most surprizing catch I ever had, besides a mudpuppy, was an American Eel I took one August at Wilmington Dam. (IT was indetified as an American eel.)

#6 ·
How about 60 to 70 parrots near State Rd and Cicero?

I was driving back from near Midway airport in January. I went south on Cicero Avenue to State Road in Burbank. There's lots of pigeon all over our area. However, to my right on the north side of State Road one afternoon. I saw literally 50 to 70 huge parrots, brightly green colored, parrot beaks and all. There were in the grassy area near the Costco gas station. Were these some how escapees from a pet store? I hardly think so. They were easily 2 to 3 times larger than large-sized pigeons, all green as parrots can be green. I have gone there many times to see if I could see them again, to no avail. I know parakeets are common at people's bird feeders in many places around the sw suburbs. In fact my late father caught 2 of them and we had them as pets for several years until they died. Also, I have on many occasions seen albino squirrels near SW highway and Ridgeland area.

#9 ·
Must I remind you gentleman this is the general discussion forum not an online creative writing course. And when it comes to flying squirrels, Can you shoot them when they are in the trees or must you wait until theyare airborne?

#10 ·
Near Vienna Illinois, Johnson county is some rugged country. I've got permission to Turkey hunt & Deer hunt. Having talked to LOCAL's in the area they have talked about Cougar sightings over 8 years ago when I started going down there.

Just 3 years ago 2 remains have been found, 1 was a road kill the other was a train kill. People down there just won't bother to contact the DNR or report it to any local authority, its just common folk talk. Its like a GOOD'OLE boy network thing, " They take care of things on their own. Only if something BAD happens do they call in authority.

#12 ·
Parrots live in North Riverside mall too... Couple dozen of the screeching basturds...
Flying squirels??? Haven't seen one since Northern Wisconsin as a kid... Strangest stuff I see is kids NOT wearing their pants around their knees and the occasional "visitor" not wearing a hoody......

#13 ·
Re: Dupont monster? Big Foot? Kangaroo?

fishrelease said:
I have relatives near the Illinois River. They say there are wild monkeys running around in LaSalle county. I once or twice thought I saw a kangaroo hopping across Rt 83 near Sag Quarries. I've seen foxes the same color as a blue sky. I've seen all black deer in Cook County forest preserves. I could've sworn I used to see "gyro falcons" at Kankakee River State Park. They looked like they were flying backwards. I remeber in Lake Geneva seeing what locals called "lung fish." They would come up from the depths about every 45 minutes and inhale a big bulp of air, and disappear. I know I see wolverines or badgers on the Des Plaines River. When I was young, I remember flying squirrels were common. Cougars? That would be the least surprizing sight for me to see. Probably the most surprizing catch I ever had, besides a mudpuppy, was an American Eel I took one August at Wilmington Dam. (IT was indetified as an American eel.)
this all started in washington park and has spread throughout the chicagoland area, I live in burbank and there everywhere and loud. they built huge nests in pine trees, 1 flew into my buddys window in garfield ridge and he has had it as a pet for atleast 8 years and it name is free bird and its annoying.

#15 ·
FishinMatt said:
Cougars have a ample food supply and plenty of room to get around most of the state. My opinion is that they have been around in low numbers for awhile.
I agree.
The DNR will acknowledge an occassional sighting, but absolutely denies the possibility of a resident population. They rationalize away most reports as "large housecat" or "golden retriever".
Rarely, they will cop to a large cat sighting as having been a cougar, but will follow that with statements that we do not have any resident cougars, and no reproducing population. They will always say it was probably a captive-release, or a young male travelling.
I think that many within the DNR ranks unofficially "know" that Illinois does in fact have several resident cougars, and likely, one or more reproducing populations, but they have been directed to engage in a dis-information campaign for financial reasons.
Imagine the cost to this agency, if they officialy recognized a resident population of large predators...

#18 ·
Do you think "managing" (if you can call it that) the deer herd costs the DNR anything?

Taking an official stance that runs counter to the truth does not, a conspiracy make.

Now, if I had alledged as alot of people do, that the DNR releases cougars and wolves, and then denies their existence, that would be a conspiracy.

BTW, I do not subscribe to the conspiracy described above.

#19 ·
I think it is more a case of low numbers with a wide territory range. With all the deer to eat they rarely have interactions with people and they don't have to rely much on cattle right now. I grew up on a farm and we had one in the area around 1990. It even took a few cattle which made the local paper at the time. We only saw it once when we out driving quads. It was standing right outside a 10 acre forest tract that was set back inbetween crop fields. Back then where we lived was very underdeveloped but now there is more build up. With most of us being suburban folk many of us fail to realize that the majority of our state is not developed and prime location for animals that have growing populations and are being pused out of their natural ranges.

#22 ·
The question of where these big cats currently exist has held my interest for some time, whether in Illinois or elswhere.
They are elusive, secretive animals with exceptionally keen senses.

Some other sites that I like to check out for some interesting reading:

In Illinois-

http://www.naturealmanac.com/cougars/index.html

http://www.siloutdoors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88

In Louisiana-

http://www.thejump.net/board/viewforum.php?f=10

General-

http://www.easterncougar.org/

I particularly like the first link (Waterman-Hill Travelers Companion) and though the founder of that site has passed, the archives are cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.