NoGut deer in the field.... - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default NoGut deer in the field....

On Field & Stream site they showed a "NoGut Deer Butchering Method". I wonder if it can be done in Illinois? How does the tagging work if it was done as the F&S way and then the Conservation person might not be able to tell which sex it was? I did like to know more to be on the safe side.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstre ... 41,00.html
This is the site I found it on.
bluegillman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have done the no-gut on bull elk. It's definitely easier just to gut and drag a whitetail out to your truck or ATV than trying this.
huntnfish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't try this on midwest whitetails, they will smack you with a serious list of fines, lose equipment and your meat.

This is a poaching technique and why we have check in stations for the carcass to be tagged and if the DNR's warden is around they may want to look at the deer, the method of kill, signs of disease, etc. I have had my bow killed animals inspected, especially when it was a head shot with a Muzzy broadhead. (they will rip right into a skull!)

Out west where I grew up its a lot different, the game wardens do not expect a man to drag a deer or elk many times your weight and they have ways to verify the location of the animal and what herd it came from. Thanks to poaching they have a national DNA lab and crime center in OR. Not to mention thay actually go deep into the woods and watch for yahoos and poachers. ESPECIALLY WA, ID, and MT

Gutting, removing the tenderloins and washing the gut cavity and cooling the meat ASAP remains the best way to preserve a good animal for the table.

FYI, Aging venison is a myth as the fat on deer is called "tallow" and largely concentrated outside the meat so allowing bacteria and the waste product it creates as a tenderizing enzyme only creates a rotten chunk of venison. You have three days at the most from kill to butchering to get that meat down to cold and then frozen before you end up with fertilizer.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbluecat

FYI, Aging venison is a myth as the fat on deer is called "tallow" and largely concentrated outside the meat so allowing bacteria and the waste product it creates as a tenderizing enzyme only creates a rotten chunk of venison. You have three days at the most from kill to butchering to get that meat down to cold and then frozen before you end up with fertilizer.
I was with you with everything you said digitalbluecat, until you added your "FYI" part.

Aging and tenderizing meat is definitely NOT a myth. I have a paper article I saved years ago from Outdoor Life that explains the process and it is definitely NOT "controlled rot". I don't remember all the specifics, but I'm sure there's tons of info on the internet on the subject. But, I do remember that it is NOT necessary on young deer, but IS necessary on older deer IF you wish to have tender meat. Temperature control and removing the meat from sitting in the juices is critical.

Aged beef is the best, most tender meat you will find. Quality restaurants age their meat for several weeks. Part of the reason restaurants charge so much for a great steak is due to the cost of refrigerating that steak for so long to age/tenderize it properly. Why do you think Jewel's steaks are lousy compared to a butcher/meat market? After all I can find a steak with just as much marbling at Jewel as I can at most butcher shops (If I search through a ton of them at Jewel!) The reason being is Jewel does not take the time or money to properly age their meats. Simple as that...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: http://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Aged beef is the best, well right behind Kobe anyway. I believe the high cost is due to the amount of waste not refrigerating/electric bills. Around 20-30% of the cut of beef turns into jerky that is cut away and discarded of. Not that this has anything to do with the post.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default no gut deer

I'm with digitalbluecat on this one. I was a deer processor for 24 years. An older wise person once told me "venison aint beef". Venison lacks the enzimes that beef has to break down the meat. His advise and my experience demonstrated that the only thing you gain by aging deer is more waste.
4evrnrut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll have to find the article. It was written by somebody far more qualified to answer this than any of us. (A processor knows how to cut meat btw, you're not a chemist - so your "qualifications" aren't any better than mine...)

The more I think about it, I'm going to have to spend a lot of time finding the article and typing it up and my money says it won't change anybody's mind anyway, so what's the point??? I'll just enjoy my nice, tender 2 1/2 Y.O. venison steaks and keep doing what I've been doing...
815-744-1380
Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just a point from the micro-biology end of things, the beef nor the venison contain these enzymes everyone speaks of. digitalbluecat was on the money (or real close anyway in a few different words) in saying the naturally occuring micro-organisms actually produce the enzymes which begin to break down the meat.

In my opinion, it can help a cut of meat, but at the cost of waste!

Everyone is right about this subject to some extent, and it's a matter of preference the way I see it.

A deer processor will get paid by the deer he processes, not how well he ages it, so it isn't in his interest to do so either, right?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Jim, I knew there was a lot of techno mumbo jumbo that I could not repeat accurately so I did find the article I had clipped. Surprisingly it was right in front of my "Hunting" file folder. I was actually surprised at how much I remembered accurately! Luckily, F&S still has the article on the internet for everyone's viewing pleasure (link below)...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstre ... 87,00.html
815-744-1380
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Another thing while we're (kinda) on the subject is IF you ever cape out a trophy deer (or have somebody do it for you) that you're planning on having mounted, the best thing to do if you CANNOT get it to the taxidermist immediately is to freeze the cape and head. BUT, if the temps are cold enough outside leave the cape and head "opened up" for a while to cool down before rolling the whole thing up and putting it in a plastic garbage bag to freeze. A deer's hide - especially a late winter northern deer has excellent insulative properties. IF you ball that thing all up and close up the bag the hide combined with the sealed bag will keep your freezer from cooling the head and innermost parts of the cape quick enough. Inevitably what happens is bacteria gets to these warmer parts and starts the break down process. The hide will inevitably slip due to the decay and you will have to find and purchase a new cape in many instances (And you'll probably blame the taxidermist!!!) Just an FYI...
815-744-1380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.