ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Why deer swim sometimes. Ticks!

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  blufloyd 
#1 ·
I remeber many times being on the Kankakee River wading downstream from where deer looked like they were taking a bath or having fun. Other times they were crossing the river to get to the other side. Anyhow, several of these trips we get home and had several ticks on us. They were in the car too. I think that at times, deer and other animals swim in the water to de-tick themselves or at least try to get rid of the ticks. Most of the time I've encountered ticks were near brushy shorelines, after a rain, with gusty windy conditions. Either the ticks drop off of the brush or trees, or the rain and wind must stir them into being creepy and crawling around, and getting on me and getting you, and the kids, and the dog! I hate ticks. Arrg! :)16

#2 ·
Don't remember the exact distance? But I read (somewhere's) that Tick's can jump or spring onto a host, 12" to 16". :toungue-out

#3 ·
fishrelease,
Is that just your opinion or is it based on research? Sounds logical to me either way. Never really thought of that as a reason for them swimming. I've always just thought if they were swimming, they were going somewhere, but it seems like that would work to get rid of those pesky critters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.