Biodegradable Bait Container Legislation? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Biodegradable Bait Container Legislation?

I've been reading quite a few posts lately from people complaining about the overabundance of trash (especially bait containers) littering our waterways and lakes.

As one who has spent hundreds of hours scheduling and participating in "river clean-ups", I for one am tired of dealing with the indiscretions of those that choose deliberately to degrade our natural resources in this fashion.

What I'd like to know from the anglers here is this:

Would you be willing to pay a bit more for your bait (in a commercially provided container) if it was legislated that all of these must be biodegradable?
Keep in mind that if a certain percentage of stores would be willing to provide bait in bulk and you brought your own container, there should be a savings realized in that respect.

The reason I ask is because I'm currently speaking with IL legislators regarding exactly such a bill, but of course if the majority of anglers don't support this sort of thing, it will be a tough climb....

What say you?
Would you support this measure?

Mike Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

On the surface, it sounds like a great idea and worthy of support.

A greater anaylsis just makes it seem like more of the same liberal thinking that is ruining this country. -Punish the masses for the actions of the irresposible few. No personal responsibility needed, a government program (mandate) will intervene.

I would support it, but then I'd have to throw it on top of my resentment pile that will eventually make me go Travis Bickle.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pt1f-sOtSSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pt1f-sOtSSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I completely understand the reasoning behind that concept, Raptor.

But there are some things that just need to be nipped in the bud once and for all.
When I think of government legislating things, usually the issue of seat belts comes to mind. Whether the guy driving next to me is wearing one has no bearing on my safety (especially since I'm always wearing mine anyway).
Perhaps our insurance rates would be higher if it wasn't a law, but that's getting off track a bit.

I sat down at a restaurant on the river not long ago with the very same Senator I'm discussing this matter with and described a thousand different reasons why banning the use of lead by anglers was not a good idea in IL, and why it would never pass.
We came to an understanding that an educational approach would best serve that particular purpose, and the restrictive proposal in the bill was withdrawn.
That, in my opinion, was a superfluous type of legislation that would have carried with it dire results for tackle manufactures and beyond.

Which brings us to this matter.

Everyone remembers the old "Keep America Beautiful" campaign.
The crying Indian.
Trash everywhere.
Pulling at our heartstrings.

This was established entirely by industry to make the statement "People cause pollution, people can prevent it".
Well, those people are you and me....not the ones that are the actual cause of the problem.
Industry doesn't want to bear the burden of the indiscretions of society.

This measure wouldn't even be nearly on the same scale as the so-called "bottle bills", which require a deposit on non-biodegradable beverage containers.
That is what the campaign above was created to prevent.

All we are talking about here is eliminating the bait containers by allowing nature to run it's course.

Or....we can continue to bear the burden of others and dispense our own sweat to reverse the harmful effects so that our right to a healthful environment is maintained. Meanwhile, all those trash bags from clean-ups continue to add to our landfills.
That's more along the lines of liberal thinking when you break it down.
Some are allowed to do whatever makes them comfortable while the rest of us pay the price one way or another.

Can you see where this just makes sense any way you turn it around and examine it?

What I do know is that I not only never want to see another styrofoam or plastic bait container littering our shores, I sure as **** have better things to do than clean them up.....like enjoying the resource like every other responsible and ethical angler.
Faced with that realization, my choice is easy.

Eliminate them.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to pswitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clifford
Faced with that realization, my choice is easy.

Eliminate them.
The bucketheads? That's kind of harsh Mike!
pswitzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

HA!

Easy now, Paul.
We don't want to see this get crazy while we're still on the first page.....
:P

Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to pswitzer

Mike,
All kidding aside, I would rather pay a little extra for the biodegradable containers. It is kinda sad that it comes to this but we all know how disgusting that people can be. Keep us updated. Paul
pswitzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very good synopsis Mike, and yes, I understand that all things considered, it would probably be a wise course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I would support it,...
I just shouldn't be held responsible when I climb the clocktower and take some MFer's out...

The worms made me do it!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor

I just shouldn't be held responsible when I climb the clocktower and take some MFer's out...

The worms made me do it!
Anton Chigurh: And you know what's going to happen now. You should admit your situation. There would be more dignity in it.
Carson Wells: You go to ****.
Anton Chigurh: Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
Carson Wells: Do you have any idea how crazy you are?
Anton Chigurh: You mean the nature of this conversation?
Carson Wells: I mean the nature of you.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

My only issue with this is worm containers make up only 1/5 at best of all the trash I find sitting on the shore of the ponds and lakes I fish at.Most of the time it's water bottles,cigarette butts,beer cans and everything else imaginable.I'm for it if it get's rid of one of those things but it doesn't solve the problem,the morons littering.
Bossofbeefbowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm all for this. It may a little bit liberal minded of me, but I think that biodegradable items are almost always better then synthetics.

For the price of a few cents over what we're paying now, we remove the litter that litterbugs leave behind, and we prevent a permanent item from residing in our landfills until the end of eternity. I'd support this bill.

Plus, I loathe looking at these things while fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.