ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Coyotes?

12K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  ja-knee-sea 
#1 ·
I'm not exactly sure where to put this so I guess I'll just post it here. So I was just out at a pond today to go fishing for about an hour before it got dark. So I got down to the shoreline and sat down to get all my stuff ready. As soon as as I sat down a coyote starts walking towards me. He was only about twenty feet away but still coming towards me. Luckily I'm 6'5" and when I stood up my height probably intimidated him and he ran off. I assume the best thing to do is always carry some sort of protection and bring somebody with, but how much do I really have to worry about coyotes? I think this might be the first time I've ever seen a coyote in person so I don't really know how mean they are or too much else about 'em for that matter. I'd really hate having to stop fishing at this pond because of the coyotes.

#2 ·
Normally a Coyote will avoid humans no matter what. UNLESS, they are very hungry,cornered or in a large group.

That being said, with all the subdivisions being built in the Coyote's home turf, he has become less afraid of Humans. They have learned to adapt and survive around us. But still in my opinion, I wouldn't worry to much about a single attacking you. My guess is, he was being stupid and didn't see or hear you pull up to fish. When you stood up you probably scared the sh** out of it and he will be more careful next time.

#3 ·
I don't think you should be worry now . I know they are getting more agressive during cold months when its hard to find food . Once when i was ice fishing with my 6 years old son older guy came to me for little talk he warned me about them . He said they shouldn't attack me but they can try to attack something smaller like my boy. I think thats very possible. So if anybody fish with kids just don't stay too far from them especially ice fishing. If they are hungry they will try anything to surrvive.

If wants to learn some more just go here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote

I'll read it too.

#4 ·
I know they are getting more agressive during cold months when its hard to find food . Once when i was ice fishing with my 6 years old son older guy came to me for little talk he warned me about them . He said they shouldn't attack me but they can try to attack something smaller like my boy.
Good points. I need to find some young kids to take with me ice fishing. I can fish in peace while the coyotes have something to chew on. Maybe I could rent yours? Now I have two items to add to my ice fishing list. A heavy guy to walk out on the ice in front of me to make sure it's safe and some small kids to occupy the coyotes.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. My dad told me there were a few coyote sightings over where I was but he kinda made coyotes look worse than they really are. I've read that coyotes that see people all the time are more likely to attack than ones who don't normally see people. Also when they are in groups they could be more dangerous, and there were at least two walking around when I was there.These coyotes probably see people every day. What makes that situation worse is that there is a walking track and a playground right next to this pond. People always bring their dogs on the walking track and their little kids to the playground. If you're walking your dog next to this pond there's no way you'll be able to see a coyote until it's next to you because of all the tall brush on the shoreline. I'm not worried about myself as I am about the little kids and the dogs. I do highly doubt anybody will get attacked but you can't help but wonder.

#8 ·
That Coyote has probably been thrown a fish or 2 over the years and was looking for a meal... I live next to Millers Meadow Forest Preserves and they are constantly foraging the neighborhood looking for food... I have never been approached, even when there are multiples... They usually take a round-about path past me...

#9 ·
I was fishing one time and I was on the side of the lake that backed up to a parking lot, the other side was woods and marsh. Right at dusk one started howling, then there had to be at least ten more that started howling as well, probably more. I couldn't see them, but had I been on the other side of the lake, I would have high tailed it out of there. It was pretty erie and cool at the same time. I definitely looked around to make sure I wasn't being surrounded. Fortunately I wasn't, always best to be cautious when encountering wild animals. Mops

#10 ·
Their sound really carries, especially in the winter with the trees all missing their leaves and the ground covered with snow and ice. I was night ice fishing with my youngest and a whole pack started howling. It was scary because they were so loud. From in the shanty, it sounded like they were upon us and we imagined they were right outside our door chomping on our fish pile. I came out and looked for them several times, but actually think they were not close at all, probably at least 1/4 mile away in the woods. They are everywhere. I've got them near my home. I saw one jogging down the sidewalk in Elgin in neighborhood one night. I saw one by the Jewel in Carol Stream last week.

#12 ·
I'm about 1/2 mile from the forest preserve, and see my fair share. It used to be at night, but in the last few years, during the day. Some have radio collars attached to them. Last fall a buddy and I were cutting a deer up in the garage and a 'yote came to the end of the driveway. Some screaming and arm waving had him on his way. Maybe the fact you were kneeling down, he thought you were vulnerable. I don't recall hearing about any attacks, but better safe than sorry.

#18 · (Edited)
I always bring a stout rod and steel leaders when 'yote fishing.

I prefer a quick strike rig. Utilizing a rubberband I attach a large treble hook directly to the toddler's thigh. This way I can rear back and immediately set the hook in lieu of waiting till the child is drug off into the bushes and partially consumed.

I use a 7'6" heavy musky rod with 80 lb braid. It probably sounds a bit like overkill, but coyotes are well known for their majestic runs and rod shattering leaps in an attempt to throw the hook.

I was recently 'yote fishing just west of St Charles. I had placed my toddler over a hedge, left the bail open and was dead sticking the rod. I happened to glance over and noticed that some line was peeling off and that my toddler was acting in a somewhat erratic fashion. I figured that a coyote was in the area and I grabbed the rod and waited for that all to familiar "tap."

'Yotes hit pretty light, kind of like a bluegill. In the past I have monkeyed around with various colors and patterns, but I believe that a red snowsuit or jacket has triggered the most strikes. Also, with the high obesity rate and lethargic nature of today's children it is imperative to impregnate your toddler with as much sugar as possible to keep the bait moving and in the strike zone.

Anyways, I tightened the line because if you have too much slack the 'yote will steal your bait, and coming back home empty handed does not exactly please the Mrs. After all, toddlers and red snowsuits don't exactly grow on trees. Suddenly there was a "tap" on the line and I reared back and set the hook. I heard a sharp yelp and immediately the sound of a screaming drag and toddler filled the air.

I lept over the hedge to find the toddler playing with some rocks and the 'yote making a beeline straight for Rte 64. I tightened up the drag and slowly started to battle my quarry. Just when I thought I had the upper hand the 'yote made one more dramatic run towards the road. The rod bent under the pressure of the squealing beast and then, sadly, everything went slack. I immediately knew what had occurred. Semi. I reeled in nothing but the head. Cleanly severed at the neck. Such are the perils of 'yote fishing.

Will post pics later.

#35 ·
Oh yeah, they're all around. I see them running or biking sometimes on the trails, and sometimes tracks in the mud. They definitely are afraid of people. These aren't giant killer wolves or anything, they're more like wild mid-sized dogs.

I've only ever heard a pack howling in Northern MI, though.

#36 ·
I hear them howling all the time (in Algonquin), I'm up at all hours though.
We had one right on our back porch and I've seen or got pics of several more. We're in a very congested townhouse subdivision, it's like a maze for them. Rabbits galore.

Edit: The camera is on the sliding glass door, the cement slab patio end is 8' from the door..

#37 ·
Yep - they're everywhere & have been expanding their range for decades. Not much to fear from them - even where there's a bunch of them. Small kids & little dogs are a different matter since they are opportunistic hunters.

There's been only 1 instance that I've heard of where coyotes attacked and killed an adult. A few years ago a young woman hiking alone on Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Island was killed & partially eaten by a pack of coyotes. It turned out that the "coyotes" in that part of Canada are part wolf so they are a whole lot more dangerous than the ones we have around here.

Of course if one had rabies it would be a different matter but I haven't heard of a case of that.

#38 ·
They're all over lisle. I live in 4 lakes and the pack of 5 are on the ski hill all the time. My dog and I find carcasses often in the soccer field next to complex. Only issue we've had are some growls and the worst was when the husky was in heat one would sit in the bush next to the corner of my place and growled at my wife (at the time) from several feet away. They are feasting on these raccoons and are very healthy looking.

#39 ·
. They are feasting on these raccoons and are very healthy looking.
Generally speaking (unless numbers are in the yotes favor or they're starving) coyotes ain't gonna mess with a ****. Some ***** get bigger than yotes! Coyotes diets mainly consist of mice, rabbit and other small meals. And of course deer if the coyotes numbers are big enough. But ***** would be down quite far on the coyotes list of favorite meals!

#40 ·
A couple years ago we were ice fishing a farm pond at night. Lantern in front of us and a styrofoam minnow bucket five feet behind us. I turned around to grab the bucket and a coyote was eating our bait. Once I saw it and screamed it took off into the woods. It gangstered a 1/2 dozen minnows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.