ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin Lake- Kalamazoo County

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ja-knee-sea 
#1 ·
I'm looking to find out more information about Austin Lake in Kalamazoo County.

1. Does anybody know about the boat ramp (is it gravel, concrete, or a sand launch) and how much parking is available for your tow vehicle and trailer ?;

2. Are there a lot of weeds and sand flats on Austin Lake ?;

3. How much fishing pressure does this lake receive during the Spring, Summer, and Fall ?;

4. Are there any resorts, camp grounds, motels, on Austin Lake ?; and

5. Are there any outboard motor restrictions on Austin lake ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I can answer all your questions, and offer you some more info to boot.

Grew up fishing at the boat launch there..

Launch: there are concrete slats at the launch, in the water, for easy in and out with your trailer. slippery to walk on, great for trailers.

There is ample parking for truck/trailers.

Lake is very shallow, for most part, with a few deeper holes.
5-6 feet deep is the norm. Shallow enough that it's not heavily utilised by water skiers.

having only fished from shore and ice fished it, I can't comment on sand flats, but am not aware of any overly shallow areas.
As it's a shallow lake, it is pretty weedy, especially as summer progresses.

Very sandy all around the boat launch area, which is on a peninsula. there's sandy shoreline and shallows all around the launch, and as it curves to the south just east of the launch. curve to the SW of the dock, you're right on houses, more weeds and more cover.

Depth at end of dock is 5 feet or so.
It does indeed get weedy once you're away from the launch area.

No hotels nor campgrounds. Are you asking because you're thinking of vacationing there? No hotels or resorts anyplace near there, until you get back to I-94. There are other lakes in the area with campgrounds on them, should you be interested.

Rule of thumb: larger lakes in that area are mostly pretty well developed with lakefront homes; you shouldn't expect or hope fishing resorts / campgrounds like you might find in less developed areas.

There is a city park on Portage road, just north of the street (woodbine?) you take to get to the boat launch.

the park has weed covered frontage, no boat access, and doesn't effect pressure a whole lot. There IS a little spring/creek that feeds in at the park, where I caught some nice bass back in the day.

Fair amount of pressure on weekends during the summer. boats will be lined up one right after another in the shallows while guys park their trailers, or are returning and have to go get their trailers. It can get pretty damn thick during prime time. as in a dozen boats parked and waiting to go out or come in.

Not an issue during the week.

Boat launch area, because of the sandy bottom, is also heavily utilised by cheap f*ckers who want a beach experience, but don't want to pay to go to one of the county parks nearby. If they're finally charging to use the launch, this might no longer be the case. Very thick with swimmers on weekends, too.

North end of Austin used to (not sure if it still does or not) have some warm water discharge from the pharm. company nearby. If they're still in operation, that end of lake very popular in colder months.

I do not believe there are motor / wake restrictions as it's an all sport lake.

Bass /crappie / pan fishing are excellent.

I recall there being a sign there at one point, indicating that it might have been part of muskie stocking program. Doubt this is still actively being stocked, but the populations might very well be maintaining themselves.

hope this answers some of your questions.

#4 ·
Just stumbled upon this thread. I can add some info , hopefully it's still of interest to you. Austin is probably the most fished and used lake in Kzoo County. Also the biggest. The launch was re-done last summer (2010) and is awesome. Can fit 30 vehicles at least. Plenty of weeds and flats. Closest hotels are 10 minutes up the road at the airport, just off I-94. It's a straight shot down Portage Road, south, to Austin. Not even 10 minutes. No motor restrictions. Lots of tournaments there, lots of jet skis, and pontoons, great lake, but busy. Pulled a 5 pound smallie out of there last year. And big muskie in there too. Most nights, a 12-14 pound bag will win a bass tournament.

#5 ·
greenmanalishi said:
Just stumbled upon this thread. I can add some info , hopefully it's still of interest to you. Austin is probably the most fished and used lake in Kzoo County. Also the biggest. The launch was re-done last summer (2010) and is awesome. Can fit 30 vehicles at least. Plenty of weeds and flats. Closest hotels are 10 minutes up the road at the airport, just off I-94. It's a straight shot down Portage Road, south, to Austin. Not even 10 minutes. No motor restrictions. Lots of tournaments there, lots of jet skis, and pontoons, great lake, but busy. Pulled a 5 pound smallie out of there last year. And big muskie in there too. Most nights, a 12-14 pound bag will win a bass tournament.
This thread is pure gold. Thanks a lot greenmanalishi and River Wader. I'm heading out to Kalamazoo County and Chicago this spring and this is all good to know.

Thanks,

-Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.