ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Lake Muskegan MI Walleyes and more.. ><> Pics

5K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  Choupiquer 
#1 ·
After considering many different options for fall walleyes the opportunity arose to go away for a few days with Derek (Builtiton) and Master Angler Lance (Bossman) to one of his favorite trophy Walleye waters Lake Muskegon MI. I must admit it wasn’t that difficult of a decision after seeing Bossmans walleye photos in Walleye ><> Pics post. For those of you that aren’t familiar Lake Muskegon is a relatively smaller lake at 4,150 acres with a maximum depth of 79fow. It’s located in NE Michigan about 4hrs from O’Hare airport. What’s most impressive to me besides the obvious "The Monster Walleyes" is also the multi species of fish found there; Northern Pike, LM, Smallies, Yellow Perch, Channel Catfish, Crappie, Bluegill, Whitefish, Pumpkinseed, White Bass, Chinook & Coho Salmon, Rainbow Trout, Burbot (whatever that is) & Bullhead to mention a few. That being said, Walleyes are the primary species in this magnificent lake and that's why we are here!

As it turns out this past weekend everything was go. The weather/wind would be ideal. I did not have my 7yr old son this weekend. Derek has been available and ready to go with his 150 pick up to pull the Ranger on more than one occasions and to boot Lance was headed up with a half dozen other Euro boaters/fishermen. As a result we graciously accepted Bossmans invitation & departed Friday AM. That would leave us with fishing that evening, all day Saturday and head back on Sunday. It wasn’t nearly as long as I would have enjoyed but nonetheless a beautiful, short, fall weekend getaway. When we arrived and headed to the launch ramps we noticed what’s become obvious at most lakes across the Midwest; the water level was approx 2/3’ low. The boat launching would be a concern, not so much the getting the boat in part but yeah... the getting the boat out in the middle of the night part. After looking at it for a few minutes, nodding our heads back and forth, laughing & joking about it. We discussed the matter over and we did what most of us would do, Go Fishing! Lol really it was an obvious decision; we were all off work, sodaupped, here to Walleye fish yatayata… We’ll just continue pounding the beverages and worry about that later hahhaha

Guys we really did have a blast! On the water, back at the lodge off the water. Lot’s of great laughs, more sodas, a little dip, a few scotches here and there followed with a few enjoyable stogies and a few more sodas… Decent eats, less sleep and yes more beverages. You get the drift, that first night we didn’t retire until about 4ish. Yes it was great fun on a short weekend getaway. I’d like to do it again boys, real soon like this coming weekend! Let's do it.

Oh and btw did I mention that evening I stuck four different species and my personal best Golden Eye at 28” 10lbs. OhooYes!

Photos you ask? I have just a few. Its true in all the fun and everything going on such a short time span that it interfered with taking more photos but yes I did get some and here they are.

1st this is one of our finest retired Military Special Ops Builitons look when he goes boating.. Had to take this photo and include it as the 1st time I looked back while driving the boat he freaked me out!

[al
bum][/album]

Dereks truck towed the boat with no problems and we fished off it with no worries that is other then the heavy Fog Friday evening, sand bars and low water hazards not to mention we were half in the bag..

[a
lbum][/album]

We fished along side each other and had laughts on the walkie talkies during both days.. For whatever reason everything was funny, sure have another beverage it will be funnier yet lol.

[alb
um][/album]

There is a big shipping canal that goes through to Lake Michigan and rigs like these (the size of a football field) continue to drive through.. There is also a power plant there.

[alb
um][/album]

[albu
m][/album]

We stuck several of these with Bossman as usual leading the pack.. Northerns, smallies, whiltefish were active although water temps were at 48 and have yet to reach the low 40's which Lance explained is when and where the hogs are about lurking staging for the spawn..

[albu
m][/album]

[albu
m][/album]

Both Derek and Lance had hooked Whitefish in the past I had not. What an impressive fighting fish they are especially when they get by boat side. My understanding is they're tasty also. Here's Derek taking Whitefish out of the live well ready to filet'm up ..

[alb
um][/album]

[albu
m][/album]

Good guy Arturas.. Lances friend shown here with a typical Muskegan Pike..

[albu
m][/album]

Nice surprise as this nice 19" smallie hit the Meps at boatside..

[albu
m][/album]

I was lucky to stick my personal best at 28" 10lbs on the Boga Grip.. I'm putting her on the wall as my first double digit for my Son Nicholas to enjoy for years to come. You'll have to excuse the swollen face and the shut eyes as I explained above.... Talk is Cheap, Whiskey cost money and we had plenty the night prior.. Goodness mebad.

[albu
m][/album]

[albu
m][/album]

While Derek at 6' ''2 and lean trim 270lbs recharges his batteries while I glance over all the marking Bossman made on the map the night prior. Explaining all the choice spots and what makes them that way.. I made Prosciuto, ham, Spiced Bacon Romaine sandwhiches each day for all of us to enjoy while Lance made breakfast and birthday party snacks on our last evening.. Good time Master Lance.

[al
bum][/album]

[albu
m][/album]

[album
][/album]

All 6/7 boats there ran well and mine did it job as well although there were some concerns with the T8 trolling motor Vs electric... we'll have to get that fine tuned before our next outing.. Also my small net gave me fits as the trebles always managed to get themselves in the twine.. Need something new, any suggestions are welcomed.

[albu
m][/album]

Special thanks to BossMan who treated Derek and I like family. You always kept a vigilant eye on us and made sure we did not get lost in the nasty fog, keeping an eye on us to be sure we were fishing the correct areas. You made lifelong friends in Derek and I Lance and hope you feel the same way. Thanks again BossMan and Congratulations on your 51st may you enjoy many, many more.

[albu
m][/album]

:flag:

See less See more
#2 ·
It was a great trip, with lots of laughs and memories that will last a life time. Defiently looking forward to heading back up there, as that place is an incredible fishery. I can for sure do with out the fog that we ran into, as not being able to see more than 40 feet on the water in the middle of the night with sand bars, 400' - 500' ships passing through there and being a mile or more from the boat launch is not good :eek: but Bossman did a good job getting us back to the launch once he got his bearings and the soda pops wore off a little bit :-D
Thanks agian for inviting us along, and showing us what you did up there. As well HAPPY BIRTHDAY once more!!!
Oh and great late night cooking to :)2

#11 ·
Yes it was good time had by all, Peter B and Derek are two great guy's and good sticks! Other than a couple no shows are trip went off very smoothly, Fishing for walleye's was a little on the slow side but there was not one Walleye under 22 in any of our boats and some of the other guys had pike up to 36 inches. Looking foward to going back really soon when the water temp drops about 5 more Degree's as the walleye game will really turn on compared to what we had this past weekend. Just wanted to say thank you to Derek for putting in 16 years in special forces and doing tours in Iraq and Afghanastan in the service of our country and I would be most honored to fish with you again. :)2 :)2 :)2

#15 ·
Great job Peter, nice walleye. Looks like everyone had a great time.

#17 ·
I've said this before " you missed your calling in life." You should have been a sports reporter for the detailed report. You put me in the boat with you. You out did yourself!

Whitefish, are great eating when prepared right. Bring over 2 of them some weekend & my wife will knock your sox off with the way she prepares them. It's called a gastronomical climax.

All in all great trip & great report, one of the TOP 5 of the year. That's 2 for you so-far. :)2

#18 ·
Great Job guys :)2 Pete, your boat looks cherry, it's just missing 10 more rod holders for trolling some Salmon on Lake Michigan :)23 Lets drill into that glass over the winter :)27

Props out to Bossman for hooking up a CLF'er on a serious body of water and then the guy catches a nice hog :)2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.