ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Green Lake GTC

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  hipster78 
#1 ·
Went up to the shack for a long weekend over the 4th. Overall good weather aside from the winds, 20-30 mph for 3 days straight. Started out in 10-20fow , working spinnerbaits and deep diving cranks, managed to come up with a couple of big rockbass and punk northerns. Moved out to 20-35fow and started marking lots of fish in 28-31fow. Tried working a variety of plastics vertically, but the winds and waves made that virtually impossible. Put out the driftsock in an attempt to make a controlled slower drift over deeper water, picked off a dozen small and largemouth up to 16". Saturday at dusk I lost two dandy smallmouth burning a war eagle spinnerbait, both came off after a few acrobatic jumps next to the boat. Sunday late evening was best bite, Zorro shortarms and #5 mepps in 5-10fow worked well. Mixed bag, mainly huge rockbass but did manage a couple nice largemouth. Our target was trophy smallmouth but landed none over 16". All fish were released.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fished Green Lake (northwest lower Mich.) late thursday thru tuesday. Weather overall was great except for wind and rain monday and tuesday. Early morning and late afternoon into the dark was the best bite, marked tons of fish in 28-35ft thru out the late morning and afternoon but they were not interested in much of anything we had to offer. Drop shotting smaller finesse plastics caught some smaller bass and big rockbass but overall it was pretty slow. Early and late in the day the fish moved in shallow (4-10ft.), and were much more cooperative. Smaller topwater baits, suspending jerkbaits and 5" weighted and unweighted senkos rigged weedless and whacky did pretty good. Quicker retrieves were ignored, most fish were caught while baits sat motionless. We saw smallmouth come up and stare at topwater baits for 10-20 seconds before hitting the bait, any movement of the bait and they took off. 20ft+ clar[ity makes those smallmouth very spooky but seeing packs of 3-4 pounders cruising the shallows tells me I need to sharpen my skills!! All fish were released.

[/URL[URL=http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/hipster78/media/P8080006600x450_zpsa9a622fc.jpg.html]]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.