Transducer mounting ideas for bowmount trolling motor - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to JDSPINNERS
Default Transducer mounting ideas for bowmount trolling motor

I have a bow mount MinnKota Powerdrive on my boat. In the process of deciding on a good fishfinder for the front also. The problem comes in with the routing of the transducer wires/cables outside the rotating shaft of the minnkota. My last boat had them tie strapped at the top and the bottom to allow the motor to be raised,lowered and operated. I hated it! It was sloppy looking at best and had to always watch so the cables didn't hook or wrap around to cause damage during operation. I have been told that I can drill holes at top and bottom and run cables through the shaft, then silicone to seal the unit. Has anyone tried this? Anyone have any other Idea's? Wireless? Front Bow mount?

Shoulda bought a universal sonar model
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

jd,

I tried to contact Minn Kota through the net, but they only take technical questions by phone.

Tried to eMail that S.O.B. in Romeoville (relax, folks, that IS his business name ), but the that came back as not recognizable.

That shaft is designed to flex, right? How would a hole in the shaft just above the motor affect the strength at that crucial area, siliconed or not? I mean it is fiberglass or something like it, isn't it? Do you think running the cable so close to the wiring might cause interference and bad readings?

I'll try to contact them Monday, cause I have the same situation and also find it disagreeable on my AutoPilot. When I bought mine, it didn't offer the universal, or I would have gotten it.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, the shaft is designed to flex and I think it's made out of some type of graphite. Actually, the bottom hole would be drilled through the front motor housing and the cables would be run through the top of the shaft and out next to the factory cables. I also read an article on the web awhile back about this but they didn't go into alot of detail stating that, a "marine professional" should perform this installation. Can't find the site anymore. I know some new models come with transducers so the interference concern must be overcome somehow or maybe not a factor because all the transducers are mounted in that area whether cables are inside or out. I also thought of mounting the transducer to the hull with a v-type plate. The transducer would ride in the water at slow speeds but would be out of the water when on plane. The problem with that Idea is running on or off the trailer may cause contact. ( Unless of coarse you were on plane when go on the trailer ) The other downfall to that idea is how stupid it would look Minnkota's design has been around now for ten or more years and it would be hard to believe that you and I are the only ones that don't like the "floppy wire" configuration. It drove me nut's on the old boat. This motor is brand new with my 2004 sylvan and didn't think to ask for the universal transducer. If all else fails the simple thing would be to buy an auto pilot with the built in sonar and sell this one. :wink:
Old 02-08-2004, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to pswitzer

jd,
I have a Powerdrive with a Fishhawk 320 and I hate the way my wires just hang out up there. It is sloppy and always seem to catch some of the slack wire around my fish finder or the release level or something. Speaking of universal sonar, have you seen the price of those? I was just looking at a Cabela's catalog yesterday and they are @$200 more than just the regular Powerdrive. Unless I planned on having the boat for 7-8 years, I don't know if I could justify the extra cost. Also, aren't you locked into that fishfinder since you have the specific transducer? I know they say universal but then why do they list specific units? Just some random thoughts. Paul
pswitzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2004, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yea paul, I was hoping to get a sidefinder that is now on sale at basspro but that raises another question... the sidefinder uses two transducers

Not sure what I'm gonna do, As you said the price is enough to choke ya and I can't help but believe that someone hasn't figured out a logical answer to the sloppy cable problem. I still think I might get the drill out this spring, being in the automotive industry for thirty years and a tech for ten makes me think that it could be done properly. :wink: Zonk brought up the interference possibilities but, unknown water leakage would be my first worry, once it was done, how would you check from time to time whether the trolling motor had water in it. At least I got time before the water gets soft again to figure this one out. I don't want the worry of dangling wires on this boat so something will have to give before launch time.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

jd,

What sidescanner are you looking at? I have the Bottomline Tournament 4300 and it only has one transducer.

Does the built-in universal have sidescan capabilities?

On the cable, my thought was whether or not the cable is shielded as is... Probably not a concern?

Oh, I have a feeling "unknown water leakage" into the motor wouldn't remain "unknown" for long... And just at the wrong time, too

I toyed with the idea of an interior mount shooting through th floor, but that won't work with the sidescan at all.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

jd,

I Just got off the phone with Minn Kota Technical Support (800/227-6433).

The person I talked to understood what we are trying to do and had no positive input, at all. Such alteration of the unit would void the warrantee.

The most likely problem would be water into the electric circuits from the entry hole into the motor and/or shaft.

They had no helpful hints and said that to retrofit an internal transducer would run around $300.00.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

yea zonk, thats the usual asnswers I have been getting too. I love the trolling motor but those wires give me grey hairs. There's time yet to give this more thought. I do appreciate your info and efforts

If I come up with something that makes good sense, i'll let you know. Better yet We'll patent it :wink:
Old 02-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Go, you capitalist, go
Old 02-09-2004, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a similar problem. On several occasions, due to the loose wires and slack you need to have to allow for the motor to rotate, I have come close to severing the cable to the transducer when I lower the motor into the water....it gets wedged between the base and the support arm. This is really a pain when fishing at night when it is tough to see where the wire is dangling when lowering it into the water.....love the PowerDrive, but hate this problem...

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.