Transom Replacement - 1975 StarCraft - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Transom Replacement - 1975 StarCraft

I have a 15' 1975 StarCraft that I started re-painting and then like any other project things got out of hand. I started redoing the inside as well and then the transom started to stand out. Needed to take my 40HP into the shop anyway, so the motor is off the boat and the old transom wood is pocket-marked with holes and dry-rot in a couple places. It appears that the transom may have been made with layers of wood / plywood, not a single piece like I thought, that's not to say it doesn't hold like a single piece of wood, but it doesn't appear it actually is.

Anyway, my question is, what kind of wood should I use to replace the transom with. I was thinking a solid piece of Oak cut to size, to match the other woodwork on the boat. The boat is rated for a 50HP, but even the 40 is a big engine for the size of the boat, so i need to make sure things are solid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
mrdonaghy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Transom Replacement - 1975 StarCraft

Contact Starcraft and ask what they recommend. Tell them what your boat is. I think that would be the safest method.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Marine grade plywood Avoid pressure treated lumber. The chemicals will adversly affect the aluminum. I'd be curious to see if anyone has used one of the composite woods or pvc.

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

You may want to check out the boat restoration, building and hull repair forum on www.iboats.com
There's a wealth of information there. You might even get some specific inspiration for your StarCraft when you see what some others have done with theirs.

My buddy and I are working on a '78 Sylvan, so I can relate to what you say about one thing leading to another! Good luck.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd go with Marine grade plywood... Oak is too brittle for the torque forces of an outboard motor...
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd go with Marine grade plywood... Oak is too brittle for the torque forces of an outboard motor...
Where do you get marine grade plywood? Is that what it is called? Can you get it at the hardware store i.e. Home Depot or something? i think I remember seeing somewhere something about certain woods that are bad for aluminum?
Fishing Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Most hardware stores won't stock marine plywood, but will orderr it for you... Try some of the larger boat dealers like Basa's or WaterWerks... Maybe even Henry's downtown... Do a yellow pages search for marine plywood and let those fingers do the walkin'.....
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I order it from Raynor & Rinn-Scott. They have a lumber yard around here somewhere. I am not sure if they sell to the general public, though - give them a shout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.