Anyone trap/eat wild crayfish? - Page 3 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: Anyone trap/eat wild crayfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big saw
Golf course ponds = tons of crayfish.
lots of chemicals there, I'd suggest a body of water well away from landscaping or agri runoff. Lawn chemicals have none of the restrictions that garden chemicals have, and golf courses use industrial products. Might as well get them from the Chicago River. The FPs would be better, because none of them can afford the various petrochemical-based brands on the market. They just cut it on a regular basis. On the flipside, at least you probably don't get a lot of used motor oil dumped on golfcourse ponds
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #22 (permalink)

Default Re: Anyone trap/eat wild crayfish?

We used to seine them for perch bait from small, seasonal ponds. Pretty much similar to a ditch you'd see alongside the road, but with more surface area. We would drag the net just below the tops of the weeds. When we dug thru the mess of weeds it was loaded with them. It's a lot of work as the net gets quite heavy. But worth it. Within a hour or two we would have a couple hundred. Made a giant metal tank & had enough for the summer by going on 3 or 4 hunts. With the prices today I'm surprised more people aren't doing this. My neighbor used to eat the tails from big ones. I tried them, not bad but a lot of work for what you get. He made up a basket like a deep fry basket you'd see in a burger joint. Attached a pool skimmer pole & scrapped between the mossy pilings in our marina, East Chicago. The basket was obviously narrow enough to fit between the pilings. He didn't even fish. He was just a bit different. I'm sure any breakwall made with pilings would have them living in the moss. Don't know if it's legal or not. Can't imagine why not though. The ponds we used to go to were on a backroad due north of the Gary airport, on the way to the Dean Mitchell power plant/ US Steel plant. We fished from shore there sometimes. Long time ago. Real long walk to the breakwall. US Steel discharge wall. Don't think foot access is still allowed.
Tim
simkofab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

I've heard, at least with other crustaceans for consumption, that you shouldn't feed them for a few days before cooking them. It's not to clean the sediment out of their shells, but to clean out their guts. Otherwise if they've eaten recently they'll have a large amount of undigested/digested/on it's way out food(poop really). So by not feeding them you allow them to clean out their "pipes".

I could also see that keeping them in clean water(although I can't offer advice as to what to treat the water with to make it crayfish safe. Maybe those drops for fish tanks to rid the water of chlorine/etc. Also, I'm quite sure crayfish need a reasonable amount of turbidity in their environment, along with a small airstone(or other method of providing dissolved o2 to the water). Considering bottom feeders generally accumulate the most toxic material/heavy metals/etc. than other members of their aquatic habitat keeping them in cleaner water may help reduce some of this. Although, that is a purely hypothetical statement.

Good luck, oh one more thing..... after you boil them I've been told from a great friend in Louisiana that if you find one that is limp and tail isn't curled to avoid eating that one. Not sure why but we'd find one or two in an order of crayfish while at mardi gras.
mattolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.