ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Best cold water presentation?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  EYE for an EYE 
#1 ·
Thinking of going out for largemouth this weekend, with the water in the low to mid 40's what would be my best bet. The waters fairly clear with a max depth of 8'. I've never fished for lm in that cold of water, any suggestions will be appriciated!!

#2 ·
Water will be getting a cold blast from this impending cold front prior to your scheduled weekend hunt. Fish might be moody.

Your best presentation would be a fathead under a baaahhhber.

Bring a UL set up and keep yourself entertained with panfish while your fathead goes to work.
Thats how i'd do it, anyway.

#3 ·
dont let the cold water bother you in the fall. The waters still plenty warm enough to catch bass with fast moving lures like crankbaits or spinnerbaits, you can even catch them on topwaters still. The cold weather will turn them off but if you get there before it hits the bass sense the coming weather and will go on a feeding binge. You can catch them with almost any lure during this period.

After the cold front hits,the bass dont totally turn off in the fall as the do in the spring or winter, but they wont chase baits as much. Work areas with a finesse search bait so you can cover a lot of water.Use something like a small crankbait or a jerkbait. Once you find where and what depth they are holding work the area thoroughly with a jig, drop shot, or any other slow moving lure.

Also, adjust your mindset. Dont expect a lot of fish or any real size. If i can grind it out with five 12 or 13 inch bass after a cold front, then im really happy

#5 ·
Of coarse, if your not down with live bait, you could try and apply the other suggestions.

Plastics carolina rigged. Hair jigs can be dynomite too. Jerkbaits worked like C412 notes work better for me in the spring..

Just remember, prey is much less active in cold water, and likewise, your lures should mimic accordingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.