Hyde park Tackle - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hyde park Tackle

I moved to Chicago, from Montana. About four months ago. I wanted to go fishing down by Jackson Harbor. But my dilemma is I need some tackle. Need to know somewhere close to get bait, and fishing advise. Is there any good trout fishing around Hyde Park?
RippenLips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hyde park Tackle

One of the BIGGEST problems you will have in the next couple of days is security for the convention.

Henry's bait shop is at 31st and Canal but the streets might be closed.

As to lakefront locations, many are secured till after the convention. I think from probably 79th north to ? are locked down.
Bad Water Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to PeterB

Welcome to Chicago! You'll enjoy the lakefront & the multiple species once the Summit is over.

Agree, Henry's is your closest & best bet. Be cautios & safe. Enjoy.
PeterB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Henry's on 31st and Canal is your closest bet. They are also great and getting you information on what's biting and where. If there is something you can't get there, your next best bet might be to head over to Hammond Indiana where there is a Cabela's.

59th street harbor and Jackson Park Harbor are going to be your best options. Illinois DNR will let you pay for your license and print it out online.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/LPR/Pages/default.aspx
Panner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panner
Henry's on 31st and Canal is your closest bet. They are also great and getting you information on what's biting and where. If there is something you can't get there, your next best bet might be to head over to Hammond Indiana where there is a Cabela's.

59th street harbor and Jackson Park Harbor are going to be your best options. Illinois DNR will let you pay for your license and print it out online.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/LPR/Pages/default.aspx
Or you can drive about a mile north from Cabelas to MCLURCH and they can also tell you what and where to use it. They are a little guy bait and tackle store. If they do not have it or can not get it you do not need it.
Bad Water Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Never been to MCLurch but I've heard good things.

Also another great resource I have is this pdf from the Chicago Park District. Tells you where it is allowed to fish in all the harbors for the city.

http://www.cpdit01.com/resources/com...ing%20Maps.pdf
Panner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Henry's is bigger with more selection. Mac's bait shop at 2322 E 75th st. is the closest. They've got minnows and nightcrawlers and a small selection of tackle. Both are friendly.
goolsbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panner
Never been to MCLurch but I've heard good things.

Also another great resource I have is this pdf from the Chicago Park District. Tells you where it is allowed to fish in all the harbors for the city.

http://www.cpdit01.com/resources/com...ing%20Maps.pdf
that is pretty exhaustive. I remember Gompers Park being stocked on a regular basis with catfish. The local.. um, out-of-towners... would show up with a Radio Flyer wagon and fill it. 2 days after stocking, it was bare again. It was 25 years ago, and a much better neighborhood then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.