6/1-4 Door County Bronzebacks ><> Pics.. - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to PeterB
Default 6/1-4 Door County Bronzebacks ><> Pics..

Finally made it up to Door County, WI to fish for the Smallies. The fishing was decent, got lucky with the weather as there was only one day that we had 4 foot rollers where boat control was an issue. Lodged at Best Western Ameritime for $59 night, nice clean rooms with confi new beds. The breakfast offered at 6am by the staff is also a terrific plus to staying there. I enjoy being in DC so much, it's such a beautiful area with spectacular homes and serene sights. The water clarity remains crystal clean with approx 6-8'. Water temps were about 56-58, that Mondays the temps in Little Sturgeon were 62.

My friend Bill Schultz who resides in Milwaukee, WI whom I consider the Door County guru and my Small mouth fishing mentor fished it for 16.5 days from the span of Mothers day through 6/5 hooked 618 smallies an average of 37.5 fish a day! My Ranger 617VS 150 Mercury ran well at times doing a steady 45mph at 5000 RPM for 30/40 minutes in between milk runs. She fished The Flats,(photo of the new Quarry launch $6), Egg & Eagle Harbor, Little Sturgeon (The Brutes digs), Sister Bay, Rowleys & Rileys bay.. she boated 52 beautiful Bronzebacks (on the clicker) over 3.5 days, which weren't super numbers, had to work for them but overall there was ample steady action throughout the days. Fished at approx 2-5/4-8 FOW. All fish were healthy and beautiful fighters most falling in the 15-17 range with a handful of juviniles.. There were multiple strong 17"s landed (on the 35" ruler) with 4 awesome 18"s one thick female at 21'' that put on a solid fight and weigh in at 5lb 5oz. I also had my personal best "The Brute" (yes, I named him) at 22.5" 6lb 4oz. This fish was a dandy, giving me the thrill of the trip with approx three 40/50 yard runs, under & away from the boat with three spectacular aerials along with the famous old 2 step water tail dance across the top of water for about half the length of my boat. To say "The Brute" was a noteworthy battler would be a sincere understatement! All fish were released to LIVE and battle another day.

I look forward to going back soon and would like to invite those of you that enjoy small mouth fishing (who the heck doesn't?) to check the Partner Up forum on a regular basis. I occasionally post to local & Out of State quality fishing destinations and would like someone to fish with and share all costs 50/50. Stay well, gooday.

[album][/album]
"The Brute" A great Door County Bronzeback at 22.5" 6lb.4oz

[album][/album]
I really thought this bad boy was bigger then he actually was.. Plenty tough though measuring & weighin in just 3 ounces under our IL 6.7 state record.
Fyi Wisc state rec is 9.1!! Can't even imagine one that size.

[album][/album]
A pleasure to see The Brute off to swim away and brawl another day. Wonderful memories of a great fish!

[album][/album
This is that fatty female at 21" 5.5. Towards the end of the evening she was no slouch and what a way to wrap up a day.

[album][/album]
They go on for several miles at this state park, I believe it's spelled Potowotomi. An awesome sight up close looking up from the water.

[album][/album]
Notice how calm Lake Michigan is, had 2 days like it after a day with 4'.. This in itself is un usual & what a pleasure.

[album][/album]
Ho hum, just another 17" Wink. All fish were hooked on plastics, slow swimming Grubs w/3/32oz wide gap jig heads, a couple hit on swim baits..
There's no mistaking the thump when they go after it!

[album][/album]
All launches up there are clean, beautiful and easy to manuver. This is the new $6 Quarry launch 10 min from the hotel, 1 min from the Flats and 15/20 min across from Little Sturgeon, Sand & Riley bay

[album][/album]
Worthy of a second photo post "The Brute" when I'm ready I will have my 1st smallie replica made.
PeterB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 6/1-4 Door County Bronzebacks ><> Pics..

That sounds like a trip in heaven

It just doesn't get any better than smallie fishing and great scenery. Sounds like a great trip you had and those are some hogs

Thanks for the pics and post
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Love the bluffs... Do they continue in the water or is that the beginning of a shelf???
Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow;
nothing better than drinking mh morning Joe &reading this report.

Love DC & the beautiful area upthar. No one can appreciate the area unless they have been up there & viewed it with their own eyes.

You put me in the boat.

What may I ask was the lure of choice? Average depth?

That smallie you caught is a fish of a lifetime, to bad ya didn't have a cam on your cap to forever have it stored on your Puter to watch over & over.
Best part is that ya didn't stick the fish at arms lenth into the camera.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Nikster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Awsome report.

JKS depends on where your at. Most of the bluffs start a shelf but there are some areas where you can be in 100fow a couple hundred yards from shore

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wondering if deep water that close to shore would draw in the large silver fish... Plus I've had some luck fishing steep banks on a certain Kentucky impoundment near Murray...
Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Beautiful fish Peter!
Landing big smallie after big smallie is a fantastic experience.
Just looking at the end of the line and smiling as you see 'another' big one coming to hand. :P
Brings back many memories of the Quetico for me.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja-knee-sea
Wondering if deep water that close to shore would draw in the large silver fish... Plus I've had some luck fishing steep banks on a certain Kentucky impoundment near Murray...
When my dad had his boat we spent all of the time fishing the "lake" side for kings, as do most of the charters. The "bay" side holds browns, walleye, pike, bass, whitefish, and the ocassional musky. I have only caught kings, lakers, and coho during the fall. Not saying they're not there year round, just haven't seen them. Smallies are on the flats spring and fall. The smaller ones may stay all summer, but the larger ones tend to migrate towards reefs in deep water. Some of the reefs are no longer fishable because the historical society has banned fishing to preserve boat wrecks. I have been going to DC annualy since 1974 and things have changed quite a bit since then. Water levels have dropped tremendously leaving some areas non navigable by boat, and the shoreline in the town of Ephraim is a hundres yards out. All of the creeks which used to sustain populations of trout year round and were spawning grounds for kings have dried up. Many of the towns that used to be fisherman friendly are no longer. The type of tourist has changed over the years. The wind and weather is unpredictable. That being said, It's still, IMO, one of the most beautiful places on earth by boat. To be able to take the boat out and not have to worry about a-hole boaters getting in your space is well worth it. I can take my niece and nephew out on the innertube and not have to worry about someone running them over. I can fish a hundred spots and not have to worry about some jag pissed off I'm in his spot. If you ever get the chance, make the 5 hour drive.

Sorry for the hijack Peter

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Fantastic smallie Peter

Lo the angler. He riseth in the morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Excellent post with stunning pics. Thanks for sharing
washhusky102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.