Turkey - My new obsession (pics) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Turkey - My new obsession (pics)

As if I didnt have enough obsessions with year round fishing, bow hunting for deer, waterfowl hunting, and predator hunting... I can now add spring turkey hunting to the growing list of expensive hobbies!

Drew a 3rd season tag for Will County, but because of work, only had 2 days to hunt. One of the farms I hunt is loaded with turkey in the winter, but they seem to scatter and make themselves scarce come spring. I had them patterned like clock work in the winter, but when scouting for my approaching season, they seem to have vanished. No sign at all around their winter roosting spots. After maticulously combing the property, I did find a few pieces of scatt, and a single feather around a group of 3 big oaks. I sat out there a few nights before dark hoping to roost a tom, but I saw 2 hens the first night, 1 hen the following, and nada the day before my hunt. Not very optimistic at this point.

Friday : Only saw a few curious deer, and a coyote who thought my decoy spread just looked too irresistable. (Ended up giving him a healthy dose of 4's ) No sign of any bird, whatsoever.

Saturday : My last morning to hunt, I head out in the dark, annnd the rain... However this time, as I approach the spot I plan on sitting, I can hear a gobbler absolutely on fire! He is in the 3 oak I had scouted, and is going crazy to every rumble of thunder. I get set up as quickly and as quietly as I can, since I am only about 200yds from his roost. As it starts getting light, I get on the slate call just to let him know I am here. He immediately fires back, and I know its game on. I tease him for a while, reminding him I am still here, but not giving him enough confidence to sit tight. After about 15 mins, I get my first siht of him. He then proceedes to put on a full display for my 2 hens, and little jake, and is just hammering away, gobbling and struttin. I finally put him away at about 20yds.

For anyone who has never seen a spring Tom put on his show, it is truely an awesome experience. Especially bein up close and personal, out in the field with them. You would also not believe how loud these birds are. It will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Definitely an adrenaline rush!

(cont'd)
V
V
V
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Turkey - My new obsession (pics)

He was a young bird. Only a 2yr old Tom. I did not weigh him, but he had 1/2 inch spurs, and a 10" beard. Not bad for my first spring gobbler.

I have. Few buddies who are turkey hunting fanatics, who have tried telling me how addicting chasing those birds are. And now, I get it.
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Turkey - My new obsession (pics)

Not bad at all for your first bird... .

Poorboy

And some people just never cease to amaze me ....
PoorBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.