Poison Ivy Anyone? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Poison Ivy Anyone?

Yesterday’s Tribune had an article on this year’s bumper crop of poison ivy that reminded me to warn you all.

Be careful, they are all over the place, even in places you normally wouldn’t find them.
I had a nasty rash with blisters that lasted over a month . At first I thought they were chigger bites because I never had any problem with poison ivy before. I just couldn't fihure out how I got them. Then I found out that a couple of people at work developed rashes and were told by their doctors that they were from poison ivy and that they were seeing a lot more poison ivy cases this year than ever before.
Then lo and behold, I found poison ivy growing in spots I regularly fish the Fox from shore. These are places I never had to worry about poison ivy so I had been careless. I believe I must have rubbed against some ivy that caused the nasty rash.
With the high water, I’ve been shore bound more this year and that increased the risk this year as well.

So, everyone watch out.

Some helpful tips I found:
Urushioil that causes the reaction lasts long time. Dead plant can still contain potent Urushioil and can cause reactions.
If you wash your skin within 15 minutes or so with soap, you maybe able to rid of the Urushioil. After that, the Urushioil binds to your skin.
Don’t burn poison ivy. The smoke can contain Urushioil and can cause reactions in lungs.
Many animals are immune and can eat the plant
Shorefisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

In my experience (over 20 times of getting poison ivy rashes...mostly at the Lemont Quarries), the best product to use is Tecnu. I bought it at Walgreen's. It actually removes the oils that cause the rash. Here is their website. http://www.tecnuextreme.com/
Old 07-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

If I know I been in contact or close, I scrub me with murphy's oil soap and all clothes go in wash with a bit of dish soap added. Really cut down my bouts of itch.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagrub
In my experience (over 20 times of getting poison ivy rashes...mostly at the Lemont Quarries),
Now that someone mentioned it, I was bushwacking at the Lemont quarries a few weeks ago and thought I ran across some but the itching didn't last long and I forgot about it.
If you're going to fish the quarries from shore, you might want to wear long pants.
Don S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Have it covering the out skirts of my backyard. I found it by mowing one hot day without a shirt. didn't know what the **** was going on at first, had a rash everywhere, asked Julie if she was poisoning me. Dug and pulled a mess of it up but must have missed some because it's back in full force. What a friggin nightmare! The dogs run back and fourth through that area and I'm worried about Aydan catching it.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Poison Ivy

We live in the woods along the river, and PI is everywhere. Don't know why, maybe it's the soil.
After we get it, and we invariably do every year, Zanfel works good for us getting the oils out of the tissue.
There are PI killers that come in a concentrated form. Every few years I get out the garden sparyer and treat the grounds where we spend any time. Also have to find them as they grow up trees, cut them off and tear them down off the tree. As they take over and strangle a section of tree, it dies.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Frostie I imagine the PI killer kills everything. True? Was looking for an easier way than digging it up but don't want to kill everything. The root systems are crazy to try and get them all. follow a few feet and more roots etc.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Scientists say it is CO2 and deforestation.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =128650169
Navyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

The kid in me says harvest some of the oil the adult in me says that might not be nice. I snapped a one of the stems off and it was amazing how much oil/water came out. I know it has a very long shelf life.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hoffman, the PI concentrate does not kill everything, likeTriox. It kills poisen ivy, oak, and sumac, and a variety of very nasty weeds. We had a bunch growing in thru my wifes flowers. I sprayed the heck out of the area, and only the PI died.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.