Yesterday’s Tribune had an article on this year’s bumper crop of poison ivy that reminded me to warn you all.
Be careful, they are all over the place, even in places you normally wouldn’t find them.
I had a nasty rash with blisters that lasted over a month
. At first I thought they were chigger bites because I never had any problem with poison ivy before. I just couldn't fihure out how I got them. Then I found out that a couple of people at work developed rashes and were told by their doctors that they were from poison ivy and that they were seeing a lot more poison ivy cases this year than ever before.
Then lo and behold, I found poison ivy growing in spots I regularly fish the Fox from shore. These are places I never had to worry about poison ivy so I had been careless. I believe I must have rubbed against some ivy that caused the nasty rash.
With the high water, I’ve been shore bound more this year and that increased the risk this year as well.
So, everyone watch out.
Some helpful tips I found:
Urushioil that causes the reaction lasts long time. Dead plant can still contain potent Urushioil and can cause reactions.
If you wash your skin within 15 minutes or so with soap, you maybe able to rid of the Urushioil. After that, the Urushioil binds to your skin.
Don’t burn poison ivy. The smoke can contain Urushioil and can cause reactions in lungs.
Many animals are immune and can eat the plant