ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Processor near Frankfort area

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  river gunner 
#1 ·
Guys

I usually process my own deer, but would like to know if there is anyone near the Frankfort area that does it also. As anyone who has processed their own deer knows, it can be a long and tedious project especially if you are making steaks, jerky, sausage, etc. I want to have a back up on case I don't have the time, or if I just don't feel like spending the time

I also wonder if I could request that all or some
of the deer could be cut into jerky strips so I could still marinate and dehydrate myself?

Any info is appreciated

#4 ·
I personally would NEVER do business with Czimers, but hey that's just me.

CHICAGO, Illinois, March 4, 2003 (ENS)
The owner of an exotic meat market in suburban Chicago faces five years imprisonment and up to $250,000 in fines after pleading guilty Friday in federal court in Chicago to a felony violation of the Lacey Act, a federal wildlife protection law.
Richard Czimer, president and operator of Czimer's Game and Seafoods, Inc. in Lockport, pleaded guilty to purchasing the meat of a federally protected black spotted leopard (Panthera pardus) in August 1997. Czimer entered his plea before Judge Blanche Manning at the U.S. District Court in Chicago.
Czimer admitted that between August 1997 and October 31, 1998, he also purchased the carcasses of 16 federally protected tigers, four lions, two mountain lions and one liger (a tiger-lion hybrid). The animals were then skinned, butchered and sold as "lion meat" at Czimer's Meat and Seafood, realizing a profit of more than $38,000. Czimer said he purchased the carcasses from co-defendants William Kapp of Tinley Park, Illinois, Steven Galecki of Crete, Illinois, and Kevin Ramsey formerly of Oak Forest, Illinois, and now living in Wisconsin Czimer is scheduled to be sentenced June 27, 2003. As part of his guilty plea,
Czimer has agreed to pay $116,000 in restitution to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation's Save the Tiger Fund.
Czimer was among seven men indicted in Chicago in May 2002 on numerous wildlife protection and trafficking charges. A total of 17 individuals and one business in eight states were charged as a result of a lengthy investigation by special agents of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service into the trafficking of exotic animals. Service investigators, working closely with U.S. Attorney's Offices in Illinois, Missouri and Michigan uncovered a group of residents and small business owners in the Midwest that allegedly bought and killed exotic tigers, leopards, snow leopards, lions, mountain lions, cougars, mixed breed cats and black bears with the intention of introducing meat and skins into the lucrative animal parts trade.
Tigers are listed as endangered under the federal Endangered Species Act. The law also protects leopards, which are classified as either endangered or threatened depending on the location of the wild population. Although federal regulations allow possession of tigers bred in captivity, the regulations stipulate activities involving their use must be to enhance the propagation or survival of the species.
It is unlawful to kill the animals for sport or profit, or to sell their hides, parts or meats into interstate commerce.
More... http://www.fws.gov/arsnew/regmap.cfm?arskey=11071

#5 ·
River gunner,

Thanks for the info, but I know all about that guy.....no i dont want to drop off my deer and get lion meat 8:)

I was hoping someone out this way had a local guy, butcher, etc. that they used and were hqappy with....I guess all the southside guys process their own deer......

#6 ·
The only place I can think of and it's quite a bit farther away is Chenoa Locker right down I-55 just past Pontiac. The big plus to going here would be you could pick up some pork and beef bundles too that'll blow away any store bought meats. Kind've far I know, but it's all highway and it'll probably be cheaper than anywhere closer to the big city...

#10 ·
JARHEAD said:
Also Millers old fashion meat market in plainfield ($100) And Sages Meat Market in Morris ($80)
Did Kerry lower his prices??? I haven't taken a deer to him in a few years due to the high cost (paying for the real estate there in downtown Plainfield). He did a very good job - one of the best as far as taking the time to trim fat away. BUT, 6 or 7 years ago he was at $140 for an average sized doe!!! A buck over X-amount of weight jumped up another $20 bucks or so. I know he was still busy as ever even with those high prices (you could tell by how crabby he was - lol!) But, eighty bucks??? When's the last time you took a deer to him, 1970??? LOL!

#12 ·
Fish Millers was $100. My brother shot a doe and took it there a few weeks ago. He didnt get anything special made so I cant say what that would run. Myself, Ill save the money and do it on my own. Starting to get into making sausage and brats ect. The night before thanksgiving we were making sausage till 2 am.

#14 ·
JARHEAD said:
Fish Millers was $100. My brother shot a doe and took it there a few weeks ago. He didnt get anything special made so I cant say what that would run. Myself, Ill save the money and do it on my own. Starting to get into making sausage and brats ect. The night before thanksgiving we were making sausage till 2 am.
I'll bet he's hired some cheaper help during deer season. However, now that you mention it, I think I may be wrong on that $140. I recall getting charged another $20 bucks to add pork to the burger. SO, he WAS $120 for the basic cut on an average sized deer (deer FD'd under 140 pounds maybe???) approximately 7 years ago - the last time I used him. Back then, I could have been charged $70 for the basic cut if I simply left my deer up in Wisconsin. A $100 bucks is much more in line with everybody else today where the basic cut (once you get away from the city) is typically in that $80-$85 mark nowadays.

I use to process my own deer, but since I now hunt in Wisconsin in a CWD area I believe it's actually illegal for me to do it myself. And, I'm getting too lazy to do all that work! If you have the smoker and grinder and all that stuff then I could see making it an annual family affair. It was actually kind've fun to do when I was younger...

#16 ·
Doh! Haven't checked on this in awhile, I'm not a deer guy. I completely forgot about those charges. If anyone knows somewhere in the area that sells bockwurst (sp?) please let me know, that's the only place I know where I can get my fix.

Dare I say, It's made with bits of real lion, so you know it's good, ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.