last bowhunt of the season - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Fish Apple Canyon Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default last bowhunt of the season

I decided to go out yesterday and try my luck for one last time. I figured with all the snow we got monday night, the deer should be moving since they were probably bedded down all monday night. I got in the stand about 1:30 and the snow was coming down pretty good. The good thing about the snow is that it limited much of the activity of humans around where I hunt, which is pretty hectic at times. I saw a group of 10 deer at about 60 yards away around 3:15. They were a mix of does and yearlings, and they were on high alert. I stood up with bow in hand and watched them as they slowly approached. About 15 minutes later they were about 25 yards away when I finally had an oppurtunity to draw and also have a good clean shot. As I was drawing on the one, another mature doe busted me and they all took off in an instant. I let down and figured the day was over, as well as the bowhunting season. Then, about an hour later I catch three deer out of the corner of my eye running towards me. They were about 40 yards away and two of the deer immediately changed direction and started heading away, but the buck went off on his own still at a decent trot. I drew back and was following him as he was trotting parallel to me. I grunted and stopped him at 25 yards and let the arrow fly. He ran no more than 20 yards and did a high kickstand and fell dead backwards on the spot! I waited about ten minutes and saw he was not moving, so I got down and retieved my deer! I set the camera phone on my back pack and set the timer for the photo. A decent 8 pointer, and a definate taker on this property. What a great end to a season, with three in the bag this year for archery. Took the deer to Millers butcher in Plainfield after some referrals on this site, will let everyone know the results after tomorrow

The only downside was trying to get that beast in the bed of my truck by myself. It took a while, but I finally got it

I will try my luck this weekend for some does and some stalking/gun action!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations on your nice buck!!!

Seems that adrenaline always helps with that big heave-ho to get the deer in the back of the truck. Somehow I always end up more bloody from putting the deer in the truck than field dressing it!

Nicely done.

Triggerfinger
Triggerfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Another reason it was so heavy is that I did not field dress it before I lifted it on the truck. I figured I would take it to my heated shop as I was already pretty cold, so it was just that much more weight added on
Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

GREAT way to end the season.
Millers did a nice job on my buck last year, and I still have some summer sausage left...I think I'll crack a frosty beverage and have some now
I am heading out in the early AM to hunt non-stop (except for the no hunt hours) for the next couple days to find a deer.
I will keep all my fingers crossed that a deer will come close enough for a clean shot with my 12 guage.
Alto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

dropped off the deer yesterday at Millers, picked it up today!! About 70 lbs worth. Got 3 sticks of the hot summer sausage, one of the BEST I have ever tasted

Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow! Nice deer! And with a bow. You got a one day turnaround from a butcher? What I have been reading is that most hunters let their deer set up dressed for 3 to 7 days before butchering. Business must be slow.
mrmoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yea, I was a little concerned when I called and he told me I could have the deer back in one day.....I figured I would end up with someone elses deer. As soon as I got there I scoped out the whole joint including the walk in freezers, and my deer was the only one there as far as I could tell. Next day it was ready for pickup......the BEST summer sausage and breakfast sausage I have ever had. Period.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.