Hornady FPB .50 cal Anyone use them? ( blk powder) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hornady FPB .50 cal Anyone use them? ( blk powder)

My deer season got cut short by an operation,never had time to get to the range and try these new bullets out. Has anyone out there? results? good /bad? Hard to load,or easier? how is accuracy? Read a few reviews that they tend to work better in a dirty barrel contrary to normal muzzle-loaders practices. Once I get to a range and play with them I will post my view of them( may be a while).
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default H. - fpb

I personally have not used these bullets . I am , however of Hornady Products . I have been using the 300 gr. Hornady SST for 50 Cal. for a long time . Shot with 3 pellets of 777 , they are extremely acurate out to 200 yrds . I have not tried any farther out than that . I have been told by a very good friend of mine , and an absolute " Gun Fanatic " , to try Blackhorn 209 powder . Its a loose powder and MUCH cleaner / more powerful / and consistant firing , than pellets . Sounds like another topic , and some testing needed .

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,, Walldady >>>####------------ )) >
wALLDADY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default hornady FPB .50

Just picked up a pack of 350 gr. .50 cal by hornady, will update after I find time to get to the range Btw on sale at cabela's for bout $18 (in-store ordered) normaly bout $25/15 rd.'s

Old 10-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

update I did get out and try them, had a problem or two, some were a little MORE difficult to start. others the soft tip came off and stuck in the loading jag(which is "designed for pointed muzzle loader bullets). I may have solved the hard starting trouble by putting the bullets through the barrel with a wooden ramrod,thus fitting the skirt of the bullet to the lands. since I rarely ever get follow up shots thought I'd try it out. I will be back at the range in a few weeks to test it out. If I like it, cool if not I will be going back to the std. sabot rd. for now.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default final update

Though I do like Hornady bullets performance I did have trouble with these. I solved the loading jag problem with a pointed dremel tool grinder bit. no longer did the soft point come off in the jag. Loading still was a problem with a clean or "dirty" barrel( hornady stated may load easier in a dirty barrel) Maybe if I had a muzzle-loader with a muzzle like a blunderbuss it would be easier. Well, for the time being I will stick with traditional saboted bullets in my old bolt action Traditions rifle. It's a little loud with the muzzle brake but recoil is minimal. Hope this helps anyone considering these bullets. If you have a muzzle-loader with a more open-throated muzzle they may load easier than older rifles,where rifling goes almost all the way to end of muzzle( no loading "ramp")

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.