2 Smallies, 1 Redhorse, 1 rock bass, Few bullheads Riverwalk - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2004, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 Smallies, 1 Redhorse, 1 rock bass, Few bullheads Riverwalk

had a nice day downtown riverwalk. One of the smallies was about 16 inches other was like 9 inches. Caught a Silver tail Redhorse, didnt know what it was until i did research on the internet later that nite.

Good Fishing!

Nobody thinks there fish in there! river is low.
BASSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Naperville

Hey - I'm brand new to Naperville and to spincast fishing. (I grew up flyfishing Colorado trout streams.)
Can anyone give me advice as to where to go in and around Naperville, and what kind of gear / lures to use? Please keep in mind I'm new to the area (saying "go down to the second tree stump by Old Man Johnson's store" won't help me out!) and I'm also new to warmwater bass/panfishing. So please help me out with exactly what kind of gear I need to get. Thanks! I appreciate ANY help anyone can be!!!
thosyoung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2004, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thosyoung,

I am not especially familiar with much of the DuPage river, however I have fished the Fox a lot (North Aurora/Batavia/Geneva). There are a lot of Channel cats, some big Flatheads and a good population of Smallmouth Bass. Chicken livers fished on the bottom or "drifted" are a good bet for the Channel Catfish. A small bluegill fished under a bobber near the dams is a good way to catch Flathead. And a Mepps spinner or Rebel Crawfish are my favorite baits for Smallmouth. Now, returning to the subject of the DuPage... My brothers, my father and I have fished the area around the Shorewood dam. We did catch a couple of catfish, and a handful of small smallmouth bass along with a baby musky(honest!). The aforementioned techniques were what we used. Finally, since you're new to the area and might find yourself longing for the trout of your youth, you could always give Lake Michigan a try. Wait for the water to cool a bit and then fish the shoreline --- Montrose is good. The entrance to Diversey Harbor is another place worth trying. My brother's favorite spot is just adjacent to Buckingham Fountain where he caught a 12 pound rainbow on a 3 inch white Mister Twister. Additionally, in about two weeks the annual "Return of the King" begins. This is the time for shore fisherman to try their luck for some truly amazing fishing action. These salmon range anywhere from 5 to 30 lbs. and fight like nothing else you can catch around here. Be sure to bring some stout tackle and a long handled net or you won't be able to land them. Good Luck-Good Fishing.
El Carpo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2004, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

thosyoung,
Don't put away your fly rod. You'll be much happier with a fly rod than a spincast. The river is somewhat shallow and laced with snags. Topwater is the way to go. Deerhair poppers, hardbody poppers, Dahlberg divers and hoppers; you've got to put some action on them. The smallmouths can fight like a rainbow. They sit in pools and beside the current. I use an 8 for a 5 and an 8 1/2 for a six. You can go heavy on the tippet - 3x to 8lbs.
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2004, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

if u want to actually fish the river, try weigand park on washington and ring road also knoch knolls park on ring road, weigand has a small pool that can get busy but is aight, knoch knolls is hard to fish without wading which is technically illegal but some people still do it. also centennial beach park has a lot of access tot he river as does most of the riverwalk but the riverwalk is narrow and can get crowded and is very noisy. there is a new lake that was just built on royce road about 3-4 miles east of naperville road. never got the chance to fish it but it looks nice enough and has a fishing pier, also is supposed to be recently stocked so no idea on size but they are in there.
JMParks16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2004, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

How about the lake behind the police station?

You can park on the road just to the south of it or in the parking lots just west of the police station...

Talking to a guy there who walks the shoreline with a spinner or shadrap. Claims he gets some good bass...

I saw a 6 1/2 lb. flathead caught there. On corn, I believe, maybe crawler bits, but it was a small bait.
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2004, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

didnt even think of that lake, ive heard people say they are productive there, however in my few excursions i have come up blank. probably my approach but it kinda turned me off to it, especially with the river a lot closer and more private
JMParks16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2004, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default DuPage River Park

Check out this link, DuPage River Park is on Royce Road.
http://www.napervilleparks.org/npdParkD ... ?parkid=92
Very underveloped shoreline, you can hike along the river for miles, and hit all kinds of good spots. Smallies are lots of fun here, and even though I have never fly fished, I would imagine it would be good for it. I use light spinning gear (anything made by Shimano makes me happy) and just drop small plastics and rapalas while taking a nice walk in the woods. You won't see anyone else all day, except for a dog walker or two on the main trails, and you will definitly run accross some deer if you tread lightly. I highly recommend it.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in