Memorial Day - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Memorial Day

See "Northern Illinois Lakes & Ponds" section for my report WITH PICS!!

original post
I know it's early, but I'm already planning for my visit with the in-laws on Memorial Day. I absolutely cannot rely on my father-in-law to know anything about where to fish, even if it were in his backyard, so I turned to this site, and I have not been disappointed! Excellent information everywhere, and a good crowd.

The in-laws live in Plainfield, so I figure the Dupage is my best bet for getting away for a few quick hours. I think they may even have a subdivision pond in their backyard too. As long as I can get into some bass it'll be worth the 6 weeks of anticipation. I'll be sure to post the results when the time comes.

By the way, if anyone happens to be heading out my way (western Mass.), feel free to drop in on my regular site, www.MAanglers.com. A small but very friendly crowd.

Thanks again,

Pete
grimfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Grim,
The Dupe in Plainfield is a good bet, but do yourself a favor and pan around on google earth near where you're staying. Some of those Plainfield subdivision ponds have some giant LM bass.
usairforce22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
JB

You can wade the dupage right there in plainfield. Definately accessible and you'll find some fish!

JB
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Definatly listen to USAF22 plainfield has some great smallmouth fishing down there! look at google earth and find some bridges out around there! we went there last summer and had a blast we caught a bunch of smallies using a 1/16 oz. jig head and a 3.5 inch grub. either just retrieve them like a spinner bait or jig them off the bottom! if i am jigging them i tend to use a darker color to mimic a crawfish! just pick up a few packs of different colors and see what they are hitting on(color sometimes doesnt really matter. it will depending on the clarity of the water though) chartruese is always hot. caught about 6 on that color this past weekend! find some deep holes and fish debris that has collected under the bridge! you are bound to run into a bunch of nice smallies! good luck!

Chris
cjl7983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reassurance and advise everyone - just a couple more weeks! I'd better clear a spot in my suitcase for my tackle box
grimfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have caught many smallmouth on the dupage at cantonfarm right off of rt59 bank fishing. If you wade you will caught more. I have watched guys wading hook into 3lbs smallies right there. But with my fat *** it costs way to much to buy waders in my size and I know I would windup swimming for sure any way. So I stay on the bank.....Good luck
gillnbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gill Basspro sells waders for big guys just go to basspro.com and type in waders in the search bar. I am lookin to get a pair of those for myself.
Grim do up the ponds you should do well. you only need a med or med light spinning rod with 8# test or a superline and you should be golden for both the dupa and ponds. Good Luck
Old 05-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

The water on the dupage is getting pretty warm already! i was out this past weekend and just wore shorts and crummy shoe! right when you get into the water its a littel cool but you get used to it! and on a hot day like it was saturday it is actually refreshing! also waders arent really that necessary during the summer time. we only used them twice this year and that was at the end of april! so if you want to wade you dont have to worry about buyer waders! just find some old clothes and hop in!!!

Good luck all!
cjl7983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Re: Memorial Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimfisher
By the way, if anyone happens to be heading out my way (western Mass.), feel free to drop in on my regular site, www.MAanglers.com. A small but very friendly crowd.
You guys have a Bassinator too!!
CLF Bassinator, do you have a MaAnglers' secret life we don't know about

grimfisher,
The first link is to the illinois dnr so you can order your licence online and don't have to worry about running to a shop, and the second is a really cool website with some info about the dupage river, access points, maps, general info, hope it helps & that you have great time when you come visit

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/licenses.htm
http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/desplaines.html

the face of addiction
ms. pescadora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Naperville

I've been catching whole mess of smallies out of the DuPage in Naperville, from Knoch Knolls Park all the way to downtown Naperville, there are a couple of nice holes hidden in there and the fishing is great. I went fishing today and caught 15 smallies in 2 hours. 1 was a 20" fat boy, 2 were 19" beauties and the rest were all around 15", Today was probably the best day I've ever had down there and I only see it getting better, I took some pictures today of the fish but it was a little difficult taking the pictures by myself so enjoy

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bullitt42 ... /my_photos
BullittWMU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in