Help with DuPage River - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with DuPage River

Hey guys,

I'm around Winfield/Warrenville area. Can I just go down to any spot in the river and find smallies, or are they only in particular areas in the river (ie, certain stretches)? Also, anything to look for in the water to help? Deep areas, shallow areas? I'll probably be throwing senkos and some small spinners....Any help is appreciated.
senkomaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Help with DuPage River

I've never fished the Duper that far north but I can tell you I've found fish everywhere I've tried. Look for any rocky areas to start, then find deeper holes. Deeper is relative, anything waist deep on the Dupe is pretty deep. Any cover or structure change is a good bet. I usually just run and gun until I find them, but anything fishy looking usually produces something. I started using jig/twister combo as my lure and still go to it when I need to catch something. 2"-3" natural colored grub on a 1/6th oz jig will do the trick
jmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRV

No matter what river you fish, ALWAYS look for a breakline. A breakline is an area where you have faster water moving past slower or still water. Anything that sticks out into the current like a point of land, an island, a bridge piling, a big rock or a fallen tree will force the current to go around it. That causes a slack water (an eddy) area right behind the obstruction. Fish will lay in the slack water where they don't have to fight the current usually very near where the current is moving by. When they see food moving by, they can rush out to grab it. This is a very high percentage place to fish. Get your bait in the current close to where it sweeps by the eddy. Throw your bait into the eddy and back into the current. If you are upstream of the eddy, sometimes you can hold your bait right on the edge between the current and the eddy. Cover those areas well. If you only fished breaklines or current seams on a river, you would almost always do pretty well.
SRV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks a bunch- great tips. I'll report back after hunting for some smallies...
Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

great q & a, i had the same question senkomaster...got skunked saturday and was pissed. tried the bridge at geneva rd and another bridge over a dam in the preserve for about 30 min each, tossin cranks and senkos. i want to get the smallies i see posted pulled from the duper too
fishnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV
{text}
+1, definitely.

I would try tube jigs or a Rebel Wee Crayfish, I have caught Duper smallies on both. Further south is better, Warrenville Grove was great but is closed for construction. Work as far south as you feel comfortable. UL gear is great. 1/16 or 1/8 oz are good size jig weights.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Also, I don't know what your experience level with fishing rivers is but like the others pointed out its all about finding and fishing slack water. The Dupe is a great place to learn river fishing. Fish are usually concentrated and the water isnt moving fast or very deep. Bridges, rocks, logs, etc. all deflect current. Deeper holes are also current deflectors but you obviously can't see them like you can see surface cover.

When I approach a new river I usually break it into sections depending on the size of the river. For the Fox I fish 50-60 yard sections. For the Dupe I'd stick to 30 yards or less. By concentrating on a small section of the river rather than taking on a big chunk I don't overwhelm myself. I also slow down and fish more thoroughly to make sure I drift a lure past a larger percentage of fish. In time you will be able to eliminate unproductive water and increase your total catch per hour by sticking to known fish holding spots.
jmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

hey bro I discovered the smallies are going after flourescent colored tubes on Michigan so I am gonna try this weekend in the DuPer
fishnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Flourescent tubes - thanks, good idea. I tried everything I had at a spot on the West Branch of the Duper with no luck. Are there smallmouth in the small West Branch duper areas? Maybe I need to go to bigger spots on the duper, as opposed to the West Branch of the Duper...
Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

first Dupage smallie I ever caught was on a 1/16oz white tube. The river is too narrow and small to hold a ton of fish north of 56, except in a few places. As you go south, it does get wider and the fishing improves. Where it crosses I-88, the roads that run parallel to the highway (Ferry and Diehl) both have bridges and spots to work it. From there on south, it's up to you to dig out the fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in