August 14th morning in Downtown Plainfield - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default August 14th morning in Downtown Plainfield

I met up yesterday morning with my buddy Brad to try and get my first DuPage river smallie and Brad's first smallie ever. On my first cast I had a smallie hooked but it came unbuttoned as I got it to the bank. On my second cast I nailed another one and was able to land this one.

Not big, but I was happy to get my first DuPage River smallie. I was using a Yum crawbug, so I gave Brad one to use. It took a couple of casts, but he nailed his first smallie. She was a beast.

I wound up catching two very small LMB and that was it. I finally got my DuPage river feet wet literally and figuratively. I am looking forward to getting back out there and learning more. Sorry since I do not fish the river much, I cannot give you any type of reliable report other than the river was very murky from the storms. Thanks for looking!

Chuck
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: August 14th morning in Downtown Plainfield

very nice. Congrats to both of you. I figured you'd probably report back what you did, there's only so many places for them to hide in that little river.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks hook! We both were very happy we were able to catch something. We will get 'em next time.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats! The plastic craw is the ticket for me on this river! I have seen people wading that area, but never tried it.
The Bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks bassassin! I am bored with ponds right now, so I really want to learn more about river fishing. I will have to keep on practicing out there.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

it's a great classroom for river smallies. Lots of fish, small water, wadeable. Take your time and absorb all you can, it was good practice for me when I hit the Fox. The upper Duper is never going to have real trophies, though.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll tell you what...LOVED fishing this river earlier this year. Throughout June I was hitting a small mile long stretch in Shorewood and would catch 8-10 Smallies, all around two pounds, within an hour or so! After the rains flooded out my wading spots, had a tough time scratching out a bite. Did manage to tube the river once while it was still stained and up a bit. Fish were really tight to shore, and tough to find, but still concentrated (although not accessible unless tubing or boating)

I have very limited experience on the Duper, but if I make it out again soon, I'll post my results to try and help you out.
The Bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a 5'6" light action that i usually take out there, perfect size to make it under the overhanging trees. a small pack of plastics and some jigheads id all I need in my pack for a fun wade. sometimes ill switch it up to a 2/0 wide gap, and use a small split shot a few inches above the hook if the jigs aren't getting hits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in