Bait options for Channel Cats on the Dupage? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bait options for Channel Cats on the Dupage?

Planning on spending Thursday and Friday fishing on the Dupage near Plainfield, what works best for Channel Cats around here?

Dough ball? Chicken Livers?

Thanks,
Karim
karim18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default baits

I have fished with Nightcrawlers, Stinkbaits, Valveeta Cheese and Chicken Livers for cats. Nightcrawlers and Chicken Livers will probably be your best bet. THough if you are fishing in waters overpopulated by Bluegills your worm will probably be eating off before it hits the ground. I stick with Chicken Livers. Its a tried and true bait and you wont have to worry about anything other than Bullheads and a Snapping Turtle (caught 6 so far this year by accident) getting ahold of it. People use doughballs for cats too but you will probably catch Carp with those. There are SO MANY baits out there. you could also experiment with Beef Liver, Beef Brains, Pork Kidney, Chicken Hearts, etc. Let me know how you did
lonewolf83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Chkn livers work great but are messy, don't stay on very well and make your hands and everything you touch smell like sht. Cut bait (fresh bluegills or large chubs)work equally well if not better in my opinion. Not familiar with the Dupage but they have worked in every river I've fished. I have fished with other guys that use cheap hotdogs and was surprised how well they work!
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

The pros on the Kankakee are catching quite a few lately on artificials like spinners.

If you are thinking of eating them, the water is much, much cleaner on the Kank.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

QUOTE RonG

If you are thinking of eating them, the water is much, much cleaner on the Kank.

Years back a friend and I were fishing below the sewage plant late one night in January. We were casting jerkbaits above a hole fishing maybe ten feet away from each other. I see him set the hook followed by a nice bend on his rod, seconds later he hoists his catch on the bank. I turned on my headlight and the trophy was revealed, a bloated spent tampon barely hooked by the string. Since we had no stringer I offered to carry it back to the truck so he could take it in and get his picture taken. He opted for a quick release.

You're probably right though Ron, I'd bet it's cleaner than most.
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

...might make good catfish bait
lonewolf83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2017, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've had luck with leeches and a slip bobber rig. Adjusting the depth is a must for almost every new spot. You never know what you'll catch. I even got a flathead once about 8 years ago.
Andrewlg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in