Des Plaines River in Des Plaines - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Des Plaines River in Des Plaines

I was wondering if anybody has fished the des plaines river in the city of des plaines. I have always considered trying to fish it from shore since it so close but I have no idea whats in the river where I'm at and what to use either, any suggestions or tips would help a lot.
24carrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Walk the shoreline and look for deep pockets, lily pads or fallen timber. I went out with rubberfishwrangler last weekend and ended up reeling in three decent bass and a snake northern pike. Try any nickel plated spoon retreived just fast enough to avoid most snags. This was only are second time out and we found some decent holes, just goota climb around and find them. I would suggest starting in Des Plaines and working north. Good luck.
Toothycritter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2004, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Toothy's right, take time to walk the shore. Follow River Rd. and look for some access from nearby parking lots, etc. Easier to do on the weekends when most places are closed. The dam by the downtown area is decent and is a great place to drop a crayfish trap in the summer. Look for areas where the river bends. The outside turn will generally provide a deeper hole due to the constant current digging it out. Look for "Big Bends" and you'll find some fish.
orccaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in