That pike pike bite off answered my questions - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default That pike pike bite off answered my questions

I am off most modays, so I usually find some time each monday however short or long to get out and do some fishing. Tried canoes launch at Columbia Woods just to see if this inch or more of rain made it look less stagnent. It did. Nothing there. Drove back to park on Rust Bridge and tried 2 casts under Willow Springs Road Bridge on the north side. My 3rd cast, 3 feet from shore, this humongous northern pike slices me off. I had my questions answered. My questions were: Are the pike hitting Will this cooler weather and rain after a seeming drought for the river make the water go up? Yes it went up a great deal, but no floods. It makes for minnows to swim in more acres of water, and the fish are more "castable" mwaning: higher water, fish sloghtly out further, try usual September spots, and fish below current breaks like rocks that were exposed but are now under water, or fish below bridge pilars. I got to the Des Plaines Monday about 630pm. I'm not sure what time it gets dark. Well, the 3rd cast huge pige bite off was on a green/chartruse 3/8th ounce painted lead head with a 4" white tail (I wish I had chartruse...tip if you go to the DPR in the next...few days use chartruse ) I lost that casting lure, looked in my bucket and found a 1/8th ounce white/grey/black jighead, tied it on, added another 4" white Renegade tail and one cast, caught a 14.75 inch crappie, and I kept and ate, so tasty. It was one meal in it'self I got a lot of mud on my shoes. I looked downstream and in Columbia Woods street and saw car headlights. I went back up to level ground to see the FPD police close Columbia Wood'es gate. So, I knew I didn't have much time left to legally fish. I snagged the white/grey thing and had to re-tie, nearly about 15 minutes before total darness. I tied on an orange/chartruse leadhead with a really bendable wire hook about #4 and added another 4" white Renegade (For those who don't know,,,WallMarts sell Renagade tails...my assortment of painted-no-paint-in-the-eyes-to-poke-out are by Lakeside Tackle I think, sound only near the Illinois River tackle stores including Morris WallMart, but I bought THE last 3 packages and they say no new ones will be in stock until 2009. But for $8.50 plus only 5% Morris sales tax, it's a streal deal for painted jigheads in such a wide assortment of colors and sizes from 1/8th to 3/8 ounce jigheads, Anyhow) The orange jighead and 4"white tail caught me a 14" sauger, a 17" walleye, a 25" northern, and another sauger about 16inches. In about one hour of searchin', re-tiein lures back on, and drivin' to new locations, and walkin' in mud so thick I almost but didn't fall down in the mud, I'd say this! This rain, has totally made the sauger, walleye, crappie, pike, and BIG pike on thew DPR hit NOW All in all, in one hour, I did great on a lousy looking, rainy, miserable day. I plan to fish there again soon this week. I think the best thing is to use leaders for the bigger over 30 inch pike, and to use chartruse, green orange, NOOOOOOOOOOOW! . But, please remeber, I am mostly a jig and tsils caster for all gamefish. I learned this trick from Kankakee Dam walleye anglers. Jigs might not always work, but, my best of the year catching like today, come on leadheads and tails.
fishrelease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in