1-04-09: Pike Dreams, another report later - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PowernFinesse
Default 1-04-09: Pike Dreams, another report later

Gonna go out this afternoon for awhile and try for some pike. For some reason the first week of the new year has been pretty good to me, with my best fish of 2007 being a 34 inch pike caught on the kishwaukee river. Going to fish oily cut bait with a slip rig and hopefully will have another report with pictures later.
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach
PowernFinesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where are you fishin on the desplaines for pike?? Ive only tried at colombia woods launch, 47th street bridge, and lemont rd.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

I fish alot of places actually, but some of my favorites are the bend near the library, "the toilet bowl" and 47th street. The only problem is all of those places are now well known spots and the pressure (especially at the bend) is unreal. The pike fishery has taken off though. You can still catch nice walleye in the DPR, but I've caught plenty more pike in the past few years.
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree! the news papers/magazine this fall really talked up the dpr. saying how big the walleyes, sauger, and pike are. this year might be a little more rough for fishing the dpr. when many people were traveling several hours to catch these species. Now the realize they dont have to leave thier backyard to catch these fish. I just hope this great fishery does'nt dry up. Also the dnr needs to keep a better watch on the bucket people. last fall i saw 2 guys with a 2 buckets full of small northern, walleyes, saugers and sm/lm bass. all way below the legal limit! It ticked me off like you would not believe. I kindly told the two men that those fish were illegal to keep. The one gentleman replied he did'nt give a [email protected]#%! and he was gonna make taco's with them. I said watch out that the dnr was right up stream checking people. They just shrugged thier heads and said they cant do [email protected]#t. It was funny they threw back all the carp,cats, suckers, bluegills,crappies and bull head that they caught. So, I walked off and called the dnr. about 15 min later here comes the dnr officer walking down the path those 2 guys dumped thier buckets so fast. Dnr officer said to them any luck? they said no. Then he asked for thier licenses and they did'nt have one. It was nice to see these guys get busted and get thier tackle tacken away. I saw these 2 same guys down there doing this at least once a week almost all summer and could not take it any more. I hated to snitch but I could not take it anymore. Someone needed to do it because guys like that destroy it for everyone.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

They're pretty good about keeping a DNR officer near the dam and the toilet bowl, but other areas not so much. Most of the people I know are catch and release fisherman, but if you go by the dam, most of those people are bucketheads. My buddy caught a 32 inch northern last year on a twister tail and got swarmed by at least a dozen people asking if they could have it for dinner. He told em to screw off, lowered her to the water with his net and off she swam. I love fishing the DPR and hope it continues to be a growing fishery full of huge walleye and sauger. (and some massive pike too). Its only a matter of time before another 10 lb walleye comes out of there. (last one I saw was many years ago by the hoffman dam).
Old 01-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ManiacRadio1

Do you guys think it's safe to launch my 10 ft 2 man basss boat with a trolling motor at the launch near lyons?
ManiacRadio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Those fish are probably not the safest to eat, which should deter some folks from keeping them. Maybe some signs would help.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing4fun
last fall i saw 2 guys with a 2 buckets full of small northern, walleyes, saugers and sm/lm bass. all way below the legal limit! I saw these 2 same guys down there doing this at least once a week almost all summer and could not take it any more. I hated to snitch but I could not take it anymore. Someone needed to do it because guys like that destroy it for everyone.
You're not a snitch, you're a concerned sportsman
Don S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

It would make my year if I called the hotline and they came while I was still there. Esp. if the guys were complete a-holes like you came across. I would be smiling from ear to ear and take a couple photos to boot. I continue to call anytime I see anything illegal.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

ChitownFF , The stretch of the DesPlains river , between the Hoffman Dam ( Lyons ) , and the 47th st. bridge . is a restricted stretch of river . There are special size and possession limits imposed there , I believe because of stocking efforts that have been done . THERE ARE SIGNS , and many , along the river . Maybe the Idiots just cant read , we know they dont give a S%&T .

ManiacRad1 Which launch , by Lyons are you refering too . The launch off of Ogden , by 1st ave . is above the Dam . I wouldnt try that with just a trolling motor . People/boats have gone over the dam and its usually not pretty and they dont usually survive. The launch at the river by Joliet Rd. ( Rt.66 ) is a different story . Its below the dam and more boater friendly . I believe that is considered a Canoe Livery/launch spot .

Good Luck and Safe Trips ............................ Walldady

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in