Wild dogs at Santa Fe area - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wild dogs at Santa Fe area

This is a serious post and I'm trying to get the word out. Today I was fishing the DPR near the Santa Fe prairie and as I was making my way down the shoreline I heard barking? I looked down river to see 3 wild dogs looking at me and I tried to slip away only to have them run after me!!!
There are 2 black and one tan colored dog and the 2 black ones look like pit bulls to me....wide head and low squat body.
They chased me all the way to my car and I made it by only 20 to 30 feet to spare. It was like something out of a movie and needless to say I was very scared. Not sure what would have happened if they caught me but I'm sure I would have been mauled. Their jaws are insanely strong and there are 3 of them. I called Hodgkins Police and they know about them but cannot catch them. Please stay away from the area and let others know about it too. I just lost my fishing spot. Very very bummed out right now.
bigcarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Wild dogs at Santa Fe area

a face full of pepper spray will deter, even the most aggressive of dogs
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah...but I'd love a more "permanent" solution....I don't want to be looking over my shoulder every time I fish with one hand on a pepper spray bottle. It's a bad situation because other people are bound to run into these dogs....

Old 09-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is a serious bummer. I don't fish the area often, but thanks for the heads up!

Ya, they need to set some traps. Call animal control for that town, they should help.

What happened when you got to the car, did they surround it? Get any pics? Did they look hungry, of well fed?

Congrats on getting out of there unharmed.

DK
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PowernFinesse

It doesn't sound like feral dogs because feral dogs will try and stay away from humans as much as possible. It sounds like somebody had some pets that they let loose and now that they're barking and whatnot have established a territory. I'm not sure if you ran or walked back to your car, but turning and running would trigger a pursuit instinct in them and encourage them to chase. Best thing to do is get some people out there to trap them. Feral dogs cause more damage to the forest and surrounding area, but domestic dogs (especially ones that were abused or trained for malicious purposes) are a possible threat to anyone they come across. Those guys who maintain Santa Fe might already know about the problem, but the city should be notified regardless.

Heading out that way later to run some errands, might take a car ride through the property and see if I can spot your pursuers.

Oh and here's a good link about feral dogs. Had a pack out in Midlothian last fall kill 10 local dogs in 2 weeks time. And no its wasn't coyotes, because coyotes can't take down a healthy 130 lb. mastiff.

http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/ca_c77.pdf
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach
PowernFinesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have to wonder about what the Hodgkins police are actually doing about the problem....the woman at the 24 hour dispatch told me how the Chief knew about them but they couldn't catch them....blah blah blah. Doesn't sound like it's a priority for them.
What I did when they spotted me and started barking was to head into the thick brush to get on the open road. I figured once I was out of sight, I could make a fast walk to the car but when I turned around they were already running after me. Instinct kicks in and you start to haul ass. I was able to keep them somewhat away by slowing down and screaming at them....they seemed confused by that and it saved me so I could at least get in my car. The back of my throat still hurts from the screams.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

probably not truly feral. Many wild dog packs are loose packs from "half wild" pets that escape or are let out for days at a time. These packs are extremely dangerous. A dog pack killed a jogger a few years ago in a south suburban FP. These are not to be joked with.
Marabou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

A pound of ground beef, and a bottle of anti-freeze will fix your dog problem

As far as Hodgkins Police Dept, I can assure you it is not even on their radar, unless responding to a call. Animal Control is who handles loose animals, and even when police respond, they request Animal Control be contacted. And even there, how many man hours and resources can be spent chasing these dogs through the wilderness?

Yep. Ground beef and anti-freeze!
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

a tip for dealing with a dog attack, from my long-ago self-defense training... grab the dog's front forelegs and pull them apart HARD like a wishbone. Seriously. You may get a bite or two, but this method will kill even the largest dog, without fail. It works best on muscular dogs like rotties and pitbulls. Their breastbone is the weakest part of their chest, the muscles will split their sternum.

Beware, it's a ghastly sound, and the sound of a dog's scream (yes, they can scream) is a sound you will never forget. It is only for you-or-the-dog situations, as the dog cannot be saved and it will take them several minutes to die. It does, however, make their front legs useless, and the pain will distract them long enough for you to make a getaway. With any luck, the other dogs will take the hint; watching one of their own die in agony will affect even feral dogs, and they will likely give you some room.

I was attacked by a large Dobie years ago, and while I did not pull apart hard enough to kill the dog, just the pressure I did apply made him jump off and howl like a sumbitch. He refused to come anywhere near me after that. It does work, and is taught to military and police if dog attack is covered in their training.

edit: the ground beef/antifreeze, while effective, will open you up for cruelty-to-animals charges and your face all over the news, with the associated hate that it would bring. Plus, you're taking the chance that someone's pet will come across it. It's not a very good idea, IMO. The authorities will not care that they are ferals and strays, just that you poisoned dogs. I would never even consider it, personally.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Honestly as a dog lover and pitbull lover, I hate hearing news like this. Running from a dog is not a great idea, they will catch you, and it activates their prey drive. As a pitbull owner and afficianado, I will tell you that these dogs can sense fear. Stand your ground, hands up, and make loud expressive noises to show your size and dominance. In the worst case scenario you are best off climbing a tree rather than running. Pits are bred to be people passive, dog agressive, but it's really tough to say what a semi-feral or wild dog would do. One thing I do know is that i would much rather mace a dog than kill one, no matter how viscous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in