pike hitting in gurnee - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hit bottom a bunch of times but only come up with weeds, sticks or no lure. I've gotten a lot better at reading the water than I used to be though. Look for deeper areas with lots of downed wood or drop offs by the main channel cast out in as many spots as I can toward whatever my target is and always keep the tip up to keep from going too deep on the retrieve.
Never sure of how deep it is just looking for what I think is deeper water and it's been working for me.
brasco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to mattknay33 Send a message via AIM to mattknay33

O ok sounds good. I live near berwyn and the river by the Hoffman **** is really not that good. I wouldn't even chance throwing a 12 dollar rapala there. It seems like a 80 percent chance u get hooked up every cast. Can't really find any deeper holes in that area either. I sometimes go to willow springs area which is way better for pike but it seems like the current is really fast there or maybe the water was just high stage everyone I went. I caught one pike in my entire life and suprisingly it was on a chicken liver fishing a really good catfish spot in lemont. Really the only spot I catch fish consistently on the des plaines. Catch usually 3 to 8 catfish a day there. Some being close to ten pounds if you use bluegills. Chicken livers grab the 2 to 6 pounders.
mattknay33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2015, 03:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to mattknay33 Send a message via AIM to mattknay33

The site dotted out the word after Hoffman but I think I added a "n" after dam
mattknay33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

If your trying for pike look for any areas where the river gets wide quickly and the water closer to shore is moving up stream and look for slow or slack water areas with some structure off to the side of the main channel. Pike like to ambush their prey they try to use as little energy as possible ( hiding behind structure or whatnot that blocks the current) while waiting for something to come into their area. If you don't want to use rapalas try spinners, if you can find some with indiana blades that'll work even better. Chartreuse and white with a gold blade is my go to spinner for pike
Old 04-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

My brother and I have caught a jillion pike in the Des Plaines. We have fished it in the more northern stretches of Illinois more recently, but in the past we used to fish along the dams located in the Chicago suburbs (#1, #2, etc). Now that they are kaput the river is kinda awful over there. The Des Plaines is a pike river, it's always pike, pike, pike...

We are thinking of trying to get the jon boat over to the Des Plaines Lake from the canoe launch off Wadsworth Rd. Just to see what it's all about fishing-wise but primarily to test out the new older model 7.5HP Evinrude I just bought. I don't want to go too far for my first test-run of it. Anyone been to Des Plaines Lake over there?
chitownvet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Electric only on the northern dpr. The lake is a good place, I have the best luck where the river and lake meet and the furthest northeastern corner.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

will the water level ever drop? i can not find any pike this spring. Tried multiple techniques, searched low current areas, backwater, typical wood pattern and zilch. I have only been out 4 times this spring, primarily hitting Gurnee, Wadsworth, Libertyville, and Lincolnshire stretches. Anyone wanna wade a stretch one of these weekends, lemme know.
Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco View Post
Electric only on the northern dpr. The lake is a good place, I have the best luck where the river and lake meet and the furthest northeastern corner.
Yeah, but with the water level as high as it has been I wanted to test it out briefly very close to home before I take it out to the Rock or Kankakee. I actually have never used a gas motor on the Des Plaines, mostly because it just isn't practical. Have used trolling motors many times though. I just bought a Minn Kota Endura C2 45, and most likely will just use that. I guess I'll test it out at the chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
will the water level ever drop? i can not find any pike this spring. Tried multiple techniques, searched low current areas, backwater, typical wood pattern and zilch. I have only been out 4 times this spring, primarily hitting Gurnee, Wadsworth, Libertyville, and Lincolnshire stretches. Anyone wanna wade a stretch one of these weekends, lemme know.
I have always been wary of wading the Des Plaines due to my fear of sticking in the slop. And now that I am an "old" man I don't wade anywhere near as much as I used to. I used to spend all day walking in current at all the main rivers, but now I spend most of my fishing time in the jon boat. Do you wade the Des Plaines a lot? What's the bottom like for wading up there?
chitownvet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hit the dpr by gowe park for about an half an hour yesterday and pulled in two pike one was 18" the other was 24" both on x raps.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Found a new spot to fish on the dpr. It's right behind the citgo just north of Stearns school rd. It's a nice looking stretch of river. Going out there tomorrow around 6 pm if anyone wants to try it out, would be great to put some faces with the names I see here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in