Getting to the Des Plaines Lake via Jon Boat - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2015, 05:37 PM  

Default Getting to the Des Plaines Lake via Jon Boat

Well, yesterday we very easily managed to get the jon boat from the canoe launch at Wadsworth to Des Plaines Lake. The extremely winding route of the river through some very wild areas makes for a scenic and pleasant trip. We saw lots of wildlife and you would swear you were traveling in some far-flung corner of the nation, and not anywhere near a heavily populated area.

But there is no way that this journey can be done if the water is too low or too high. If it is at normal depth or below there are some locations that are going to be a bit too shallow for powered traversal. But if the water is too high the Des Plaines Trail bridge just north of Mill Creek would most assuredly block your way. As it was with the water level dropping but still up, we had to get way down in the boat to get under it. But the outboard performed admirably and the new trolling motor provided all the power we needed and some. We had literally no impacts on the prop or had to make any quick maneuvers to avoid obstacles.

We didn't catch a single fish in our limited time out there (we left in the afternoon), but that lake is impressive. It's a lot bigger than I expected from perusing it on google maps.I measured depths there in excess of 25', and it has bays and lots of promising structure. We shall return...

Last edited by chitownvet; 04-19-2015 at 07:24 PM.
chitownvet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 07:55 AM  

Good to hear that your outboard is working well I would bet too afraid of damaging mine running the river to even try. I've always had good luck from shore on the north west corner of the lake and where it and the river come together. Better luck on your next trip out.
brasco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 12:58 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco View Post
Good to hear that your outboard is working well I would bet too afraid of damaging mine running the river to even try. I've always had good luck from shore on the north west corner of the lake and where it and the river come together. Better luck on your next trip out.
Yeah, we'll spend more time out there next time. We plan to drift and troll with various sized minnows along with casting spinnerbaits and other artificials. That lake looks like a haven for crappie, largemouth and big pike.

We have a Rock Hopper prop guard on the outboard so the threat of prop damage is lessened a bit. And we set the motor on shallow water drive when there is the risk of impacting the bottom.
chitownvet is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 AM  

Definitely have to let us know how the fishing is after you're next trip. I may have to try taking my little basstender out there.
brasco is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in