Pike City!! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pike City!!

Hit the dpr for just under an hour after work and got 3 pike. I'm having trouble attaching pics so I will hopefully do it in a reply.
While its a ton of fun I'm a catch and release guy and twice this spring now I got hooked a pike that inhaled the lure. I got one out but the one today escaped with it still in. Anyone have tips to help make sure I'm returning healthy fish to the water? I'd really appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (183.6 KB, 65 views)
WayCoolJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is the second pike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (168.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

And number three...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (115.0 KB, 50 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

#1 Don't lay them in the gravel, mud, etc.
# 1a Minimize handling

#2 Hold them by the gill plate with 2 or 3 fingers, not on the outside of the gills. That may damage the gills and cause later death.

#3 Always have a long nose pliers. The kind that have the ridiculously long gripping end.

#4 Carry hook cutters (pliers that cut metal). You can always cut a treble and replace it later.

#5 Try smashing the barbs on some of your lures. You may lose a fish here and there but rarely.

The fact that you ask about proper release shows that you are a concerned sportsman and are to be commended ! GOOD LUCK.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh....and Nice Fish !
Old 05-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks big saw. I never targeted them before so I was unaware of how 'fragile' they are once you catch them. Bought an even longer set of long nose and will put the advice to use.
I like the hook cutter idea for quick release on those unfortunate hook sets.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

nice fish!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

actually holding a Pike under the gill plate is worse than holding the outside, just squeeze enough so you have control of the fish, this usually immobilizes them a little bit too..
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Scott,Please. Squeeze them enough, this also immobilizes them a little. It immobilizes them cause your crushing muscles and nerves ! Disinformation is dangerous. Holding under the fishes mouth and between the gill plate and the gills is the proper way to hold a pike/musky. If the fish is a larger fish you should support the body at about a 45 degree angle so as not to stretch the fish vertically. Also holding the fish in a horizontal way can damage the fish. The best method is to take your pic and release IN the water. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

true, the best way is with both hands, but most northern waters guides will tell you, (and most articles) that under the gill plate is not the best way, especially if you've never done it and get into the gills themselves. holding outside the gill plates isn't going to hurt the fish..how many walleye fisherman you see holding walleye from the outside? quite a few, pike are no different. also less chance of getting fingers full of teeth if you go in too far. also, i am not disinformed as i have caught plenty of pike and all have been released healthy and full of energy.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in