6/15 A.M. Rock Creek - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2002, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

21 smallies, largest 15. 5 rock bass (one had to go 1 1/2 lbs.; and the catch of the day.. a 4 inch bluegill. The thought that my little bluegill friend decided to act so brave and go for the big boy food (and on a 1/0 to boot!) made my day. All caught on green pumpkin hellgrammites fished on a weighted keeper hook.
Whoever suggested the keeper hook set-up.. gracias. I used the 1/0 weighted. Pleasantly surprised at the slow fall. The natural color did not seem to produce for me today, however has in the past.

Tight lines,
Bassrat

Oh, and by the way, return of the nightcrawler people has happened again. There containers were floating all over! Ya gotta shoot for the eye to kill 'em, otherwise they keep regenerating and coming back.
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2002, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bassrat,

21 smallies! Great report. I like those little fish that are all heart too. Last Fall on the Fox I caught a walleye that was about six inches. Made my day - even took a picture.

How is K3 doing as far as water level? It's about time I came down to K3 & Rock Creek again.

I hit the Fox on Thursday with a buddy and we got 27 walleyes (4 about 18" and two at 19+"). Lost a couple huge eyes that were much bigger.

Sorry to hear about the nightcrawler trash (I mean people). I can't understand how someone can leave their trash behind - esp. at Rock Creek. I won't even leave a couple inches of mono behind. I just don't get it.

Take Care,
Razzo
Razzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2002, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a fun day, Bassrat. I messed around in Wilmington with the black helgies and got 0 Bass. Dam Bait shop is still out of the medium weighted keepers, so I went with the bullet weight again, pegged this time.
I'm convinced now that Wilmington pretty much sucks, a Bass here and there notwithstanding.
I won't be back there for quite some time.

I did bring the kids to the South Island park to try for some cats left from the morning kids derby. Only managed some small ones.
Finished the night at a local pond and the kiddies had a blast catching 7"-10" gills and 15" crappies. No Bass there either, but I was kept busy with the baiting and de-hooking. See ya on the water.....just not in Wilmington.

P.S.....Anyone catch anything with the red shad helgies?

Mike Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2002, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

I fished Rock Creek today (6/15) from 2-9. Whent out with four other friends and waded around for a while. Caught a bunch of 10-12 inch smallies and each one of us got a 15-18 inch smallmouth to top it off. All fish caught on hellgrammites (LIVE). Mosquitos got bad later so we took off. Great day to be fishing.

Also Razzo, when you caught the walleye on the Fox, you were fishing from the shore, right?
Adios
Keith8837 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2002, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Razzo, congrats on the walleye thursday you had. As far as river level, most of my day was from the foot-bridge and up-stream. Towards the end, I worked my way to the mouth, and surprise, had the 15" smallie in real shallow fast water. The main river seemed to be high and a little dirty from the previous days rain. Just my opinion. Any Q's just ask. I'll help any way I can. Stinkbait and Creekyknees seem to be the guru's though. I'm sure they could help also.
Tight Lines
Bassrat
Old 06-16-2002, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know your closer to the river Bassman, however, just posting for the rest of you out there who live in the south burbs. Fishing Connection in Tinley Park has had a solid supply of the hellgrammites, and just saw them on the shelf at J.J.'s the other day. Greg at Fishing Connection has been stocking them and reordering frequently. If they don't have the color you want, just have him save some when the next order comes in.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

And anyone in the western suburbs of Chicago, like Downers Grove, can now pick up Case Hellgrammites (large size only) at Midwest Rod & Reel on Ogden Ave. They have a small supply, and with all the publicity theyre getting on this site, they could be gone pretty fast. But worth a try. Smaller ones were more productive for me, still waiting for the bigger fish to scoop up one of the larger sized baits.
Jaxfishn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in