Kankakee 7/3/05 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kankakee 7/3/05

I tried to fish Rock Creek off of Deselm Rd. on Sunday. When I pulled in to the parking lot, the car was attacked by these wierd flies. They were yellow & black like bees, but they had the eyes & wings of a fly. They are vicious too, they were fighting to get in the car. I was attacked by a swarm of them a few years ago near the creek... I don't know if they bite or sting, but what ever they do, they leave nasty welts. Needless to say, I wasn't about to get out of the car this time. Does anyone know what these things are? Since I couldn't fish Rock Creek, I went to Warner Bridge. I was only there for an hour or so. I didn't get a single bite, and I didn't see anyone else having any luck, so I went home and slept instead.
LetsGoFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2005, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

yellow jackets or a weird import to area...

Old 07-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Whatever they are, they can't be related to the bee. I am highly allergic to bee stings, but a few years ago, I was near the same spot, and I was attacked by the same thing. They left painful welts, but I didn't have an allergic reaction to them. I hope they go away because Rock Creek is one of my favorite places to fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2005, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

sounds like yellow jackets, those darn things ARE mean as ****

I was unfortunate to run over a nest one time with the lawnmower...got stung about 6-7 times. hurt like a sumbeach
Doctor D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

If I had to take a guess I would say they were horse flies... They are bigger then a flay but not quit as big as a bee... They are very pesty though and they will keep buzzing your face and landing on you until you kill them... There bite feels like a cross between a fly bite and a bee sting and they do leave very big welts on you... Just got bit by a few this weekend while I was camping....
AquaPup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

They definitely weren't horseflies. They weren't that big, and they swarmed as a group. Horseflies usually fly alone don't they? Whatever they are, they're freaky. They'll chase you like the swarm of bees in the old cartoons after their nest got nocked down or something. A few years ago, when I first encountered them, I was walking down the trail at Rock Creek, about 200 yards from the parking lot, and those little bastards chased me back to my car and then fought to get in. I'd like to bring out a can of WD40 and a lighter to incinerate all of them, but it's a little dry out for that. We need some rain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in